Burning Bridges for Secrets

RECAP:

I go to sleep that night with only worry for my friends occupying my thoughts. Everything was going to shit and there was nothing I could even do about it. I was helpless.

*back to the story*

Blyke and Isen had planned a day out today. They kept insisting it was gonna be "good for my nerves". I have been extremely on edge lately, so I really hoped they were right. I was completely in the dark about what exactly we were doing which certainly heightened my stress levels. My love for surprises has significantly decreased as of late. No doubt all of it was due to school and its related anxieties. Especially the royals. Some part of me regrets stepping down. The rest of me protests in even thinking about getting my spot back. I enjoyed my job underneath Arlo. I really did. I felt as though I had a part to play in helping my fellow students at Wellston. Running as queen alongside John? I had no desire to be associated with that. Of course, since stepping down, I have felt a lot less stress in that particular area of my life, policing students. Other things only worsened, no thanks to John and Cecile.

As I walked up to Woba Boba, most of my worries disappeared for the time being. Isen and Blyke were waiting outside. We were going to have a nice, worry-free day out. And you know what? I deserve it. I tried to open a safe house, I was immediately bombarded with the responsibility of fighting off John's henchman, Zeke. While he was not particularly hard to get rid of, it still caused me a lot of stress, and I was on edge just about every single club meeting. Stress. Oh yes. You could say stress lives rent-free in my mind. Of course, not willingly. I can't get rid of it.

 I walked in and quickly found where Isen and Blyke were sitting. We ordered our drinks, I of course got a mango boba. It was the best thing they had, and I just so happened to enjoy it.I found myself constantly drifting from the conversation. I went in and out of it constantly. From the other night to the whole leadership situation at school, to family-Luckily I was not the only one distracted. Blyke was zoning out constantly. He had slight bags from under his eyes, and he kept staring into open space or blankly down at his drink and the table.

 "Heyyyyy. Anyone home?" Isen waved his hand in front of Blyke's face.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good."

"Bullshit. What's going on?"

"Well, I don't know. I feel out of it I guess."

"Yeah, you and strawberry milk hair over here."

"Huh?" I replied out of surprise.

"Oh for God's sake Rem and Blyke. I would think that you guys might try to at least STOP getting in your heads on our day off. I don't know everything you're thinking about, but I do know that you need to stop it. You're both worrying over something stupid or out of your control."

"Yeah. I am. And?" Blyke shot back.

"Reports of an all-new vigilante reach authorities after-" the TV hanging from the ceiling became very interesting once I got out of Isen lecturing me."With red hair and very plain clothing, locals say that his ability is related to laser beams"

At this point, I was completely tuned in. I didn't even care about whatever the other two were discussing. Thankfully, it turns out they weren't discussing either. Blyke's eyes were also completely glued to the screen but in a completely different way. It was as if he was completely petrified with fear.

Then it clicked. That blurry photo of the new vigilante was Blyke. He went behind my back and put himself in more danger than even I did going out with him to fight.

 "So this is what you were doing the other night?" I disdainfully remarked.

"Remi, you don't understand. I can't not go. I have to--"

"I don't understand?"

"Blyke, Remi, this isn't the place." Isen attempted to interfere in the soon to be heated discussion. Blyke just unknowingly opened a very large can on carnivorous worms that look like earthworms. I have been keeping a large part of this to myself, and I can't do this shit anymore. He has no idea. Nieve.

 "Ohohoho. Blyke. HONEY. If anyone fucking understands, it is me. You wanna know why I became so obsessed with ember?" Blyke stared at me blankly. "Why I insisted on finding out who they were and exposing them? BLYKE. My fucking brother was killed by those people. You wanna know how he died? He was defending others. He was using his powers for good. He was a vigilante Blyke."

"I-"

"No. Stop. You don't even know me. And now you have the audacity to go and become one yourself after telling me to stop? I am angry. I- I have to go Blyke. Have fun. I hope whatever you find doing this makes you happy because it could very well get you killed. I can't lose another to this Blyke."

I get up and make for the door. This was supposed to be relaxing, and all it has turned into is another fight. I am so done anymore. These past few months have been a lot, to say the least. 

"Remi, wait." I turn around and find Blyke chasing after me with Isen standing not far behind.

"Please, let me explain. I feel like...Yeah." I let the silence settle in for a minute before responding.

"Even if I did let you explain Blyke, I already know it is exactly what I think it is going to be. And that doesn't help. That is what makes me angry here. Not the vigilante thing. Not the secrets thing even. It is the hypocrisy and double standards. Sure the other things suck, but a real friend would never tell me that I can't or shouldn't do something and then go do it themselves knowing full well that I decided to not do that thing for them."

I thought for a minute and chose my words very carefully.

"Blyke, I care for you. You're my friend. But I will tell you this: it fucking hurts when you do this to me. I feel like you don't care. And right now, I don't even want to talk to you." I took one last look at his face before walking out back to the parking lot. He said a few more things, but I didn't really want to hear any more excuses. 

"But Remi, you have it all wrong. I do care about you. That's why..." his voice trailed off. My mango boba and I angrily stomped our way back to school. I feel burnt out, tired, angry, and hungry.

I would like to say that I dramatically slammed my bedroom door shut while dismissing everyone around me, but I didn't. I didn't even make it halfway back before breaking down and crying. The possible outcomes of him being a vigilante? Countless, and most of them I would rather not even remotely experience if I had to. With my face red and puffy as I entered the building, I had quite a few students ask if I was alright. I gave the usual Remi smile and chuckle. It was not completely fake even. I loved my peers. But it was painful to keep the smile on for them. Once I got to my room, I did not even cry. I simply laid on the bed and blankly stared at the ceiling for a while before feeling tears run down my cheeks from not blinking. I was exhausted. Why can't I catch a break?

*thanks for reading this chapter of Lies Lies Lies :) don't forget to vote, comment and add this to your library. Happy holidays everyone! i hope yall can enjoy yourselves. 

ily and dont forget to drink water. :D

-ghostly

edit: the formatting turned out reealllly weird when I uploaded the chapter last night. And it cut out an entire paragraph smh. this shouldn't be one big block of text now. lmk if anyone gets that issue :D