Uncertainties

Sera's POV

Leilah has never been one to tell me things. She always had a lot of secrecy around her. It is a wonder she has even had any sort of success in the dating field considering how slow she is to open up to others. I suppose I am thinking about this because so far, this 30 minute helicopter ride into the outskirts of the city has been absolutely silent, save for the sounds of the wind rushing around us. The only thing I can do to pass the time is pick at my own fingers and look at the sad landscape below us. I happen to zone out when doing the latter though.
I guess this gives me a sort of a break. I've been trying to keep out of trouble for so long... It feels like I have finally got a breath of fresh air.
At the same time, I went to nexgen for a reason. It was my only lead on gaining my ability back. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a stupid decision it was to leave with Leilah. It was impulsive and utterly stupid. I sure hope that leilah recognizes the scale of the issue my ability is causing me.
She is still chatting with the pilot of the copter. How could she have so much to say to one person? Personally, I don't find long conversations of mostly small talk appealing. It shocks me that she has this much to say.
"Make sure you make the turn here and say the words I tell you when prompted. If you do not, I will be the one flying this copter soon enough." Leilah warns the pilot. She sighs and turns over to me. "Sera, It is good to see you ya know." A slight smile is seen at the corners of her mouth.
"Yeah. Good to see you too." I lie. Well, half lie. It is good to see her. It really is, but I shouldn't be here. I need to be back at nexgen getting testing done. Unfortunately, it seems like Leilah can see through my half-heartedness.
"You seem conflicted." Her face falls into concern.
"I am. I was at nexgen for a reason. And now that I am not there-"
"Sera I know why you were at nexgen."
"Oh. You do?" Maybe she has a plan after all?
"And nexgen cannot help you."
Oh. So no plan.
"Leilah they were the only ones with a lead! You don't understand!"
"We can't discuss this right now. You just have to trust me."
Hold up. No. I can't just TRUST her. I have no reason to other than blood. But blood sometimes is the worst reason to trust someone.
"You want me to just give everything up that I have waited patiently for? I dont think so! I have to go back! I have to get my ability back Leilah!" How does she not understand what it is like to be a cripple for months? It is cruel. To be able to feel it in your veins, in the world around you, and then have it stripped away from you?

"Sera. Shut up. Later."
"No. I don't think I will shut up Leilah. I want some answers. And now that my only chance is ruined at getting my powers back I expect an explanation. I will not just go along with your 'I miss youuu' BS!"

"I will explain! Just...Not right this second. I promise." She looks at me with a sincere look in her eye. I am not happy about this. I came for answers. And she is just delaying them even more. Maybe I can get the pilot to turn around or something.
Needless to say I turned away and did not speak another word to Leilah the entire ride to this "Safehouse" of hers. So much for trying to get rid of the silence.

Luckily, we landed quite soon after our small skirmish. It was in the hills past the city. Completely barren land. There was probably miles and miles of unused land out here. I guess I always thought there might be someone trying to develop it. Apparently not. There was no service either. Nobody for miles. My sister could murder me out here and she would get away with it. So many places you could hide a body. Too much empty space for my liking. Not to mention the animals that probably lived out here.
I am just so anxious about this. I have no expectations.

The safehouse was small. Only 2 bedrooms, a bath, and a small kitchen and living space. At least, that was how it appeared. Leilah beelined it to the small closet space in the second bedroom. Maybe she had some equipment she was planning on using.
Again, I assumed wrong. She spoke a few small words that I couldn't hear and suddenly, there was a small crawlspace that led to who knows where.

She turned to me and smiled, "Well, are you ready? You better be, because I have no plans of leaving you in this small pathetic little thing without helping you with your ability. Get over here!"
So she wasn't that mad? Maybe she was just super stressed about getting away from work. I would be too to be completely honest. She probably knows more about their assets and what they could do should they find out that she stole me from the facility. It was refreshing to just have someone not hold a grudge.

I kneeled down in front of the opening. It was dark for a long while yet.
"What are you waiting for? Go on. I am right behind you."
I guess I have no reason to wait any longer. Anything I could come up with would get categorized as stalling.
I started into the crawlspace. Leilah wasn't far behind me.

As soon as Leilah was in all the way, the opening shut off and we were left in an endless void of darkness.
Fortunately, not for long though. Bright white lights blinded me short after the opening closed and I saw a slope starting in the ceiling. There was a door on the other end. I guess that was where we were headed.

"Just a bit further Sera. You see the door?" "Yeah. But there is no handle?"
"Oh don't worry about that. It is voice activated. Like the crawlspace door."
"Oh. I assume you will be the one getting it?"
"Yes. I should probably program your voice into it too, however. Seems like you might be staying here a while considering the situation at your school."
"The situation at school?"
"OH you know. The whole serial attacker. Joker I think? It kind has been a subject of interest at nexgen. What an interesting opponent." "Yeah... Interesting." So Joker was not just a school problem? Leilah obviously knew about him.

Leilah unlocks the door when we get to it and it slides open to reveal a whole lab complete with a neutralizing chamber, microscopes, incubators, and all kinds of other equipment I don't know the names of.

"Today, I just though we should get you introduced to the lab and get some basic samples from you."

"That sounds fine. But how long exactly--"
"It won't take long for a cure. I promise. I already have a lead considering I have your school doctor on speeddial combined with nexgen's current research on hand from when the school doctor sent it in."
"You know Doc?"
"Yes. I definitely do..."
Leilah had an interesting look in her eye when she said that. I don't think I could really explain it. It seemed to be a mixed jumble of emotions so I did not push the topic.

After opening a few cabinet doors, Leilah came over to me with a handful of swabs. "These shouldn't hurt. Well not that much anyways. Just think of this as a general doctor's visit. Where...we will be running like a million tests," She smiled. Yeah. Just like a normal Doctor's visit.

I did not know how long this would take, but i was not expecting something to this extent. Leilah, you said you were close to a cure for me. This is not close.

*Uh. Hi. :) So...Kiind of have little to no motivation for this fic tbh. Like idek where I am going with it? So...Yeah. Welcome to the train of Ghostly Gets Bored Too Easily. I might start another fic soon tho. Idk. Uhhhhhh.
YEah. I obv didnt update like i said. Which for obvious reasons I am going to sayyy
I am lazy af. :) If anyone reads purple hyacinth, I might do one for that idk. IDk, IdK, IDk.
oki bye
-Ghostly