01

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
THE NIGHTMARES
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺THE NIGHTMARES≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

30th October 1994
⋆✩⋆

THE LOUD BLARING of the small, pink alarm clock jarred Ashlynn Harrington out of her not so peaceful sleep on the morning of the Thirtieth of October.

The small blonde let out a pained gasp, her form jolting up out of the bed. Ashlynn's rapid moving eyes scanned the room, her breathing ragged, for the sight she saw milliseconds ago.

When Ashlynn saw nothing dangerous, at least from her view, she turned to her white bedside table. The vertebrae cracked loudly in her back as she reached toward her pink alarm clock, relieving it from it's seizure.

The girl sighed, her eyes fluttering shut in happiness and relaxation from the relieving crack. Although she expected a plain, black canvas on the backs of her eyelids she was instead met with a cruel, malicious grin, which made her heart race, and not in a good way.

Ashlynn took a deep, shaky breath to calm herself. She did not want a panic attack this early in the morning, her eyes flickered to the alarm clock, the digital numbers reading '5:30' in large, red numbers.

Ashlynn pulled her white sheets, the only interesting thing on them was the bright, rainbow strip across the centre, off of her slim, slightly shaky, legs. She flung her legs off of the side of her double bed, shivering when her bare feet met the cold, wooden floor.

Ashlynn hesitated, wondering whether or not she should even go to school today, but decided against it. She wanted one hundred percent attendance this year, to make up for last year, but the blonde almost knew that wouldn't happen. Her older brother demanded she'd see a therapist to ease her of the things that took place last year. But, it didn't help, in fact it only made her feel worse, different.

The wooden floorboards creaked under her pale feet, her loose, oversized red t-shirt and grey shorts not doing much to keep her warm in the crisp, early air.

The tired girl groaned softly, dragging her comforter off the bed and wrapping it gently around her body, her long, bedraggled hair getting caught in her fingers slightly.

Ashlynn waddled out of her room, careful not to trip over her own feet as she strolled through the Harrington household toward her brothers room. The blonde knocked gently on her older brother Steve's bedroom door, walking into the room when she didn't receive an answer.

The door squeaked open, creaking to a halt before Ashlynns soft voice filled the cold, quiet atmosphere,

"Steve, wake up." Ashlynn's comforter scratched against the wooden floor, friction creating the first signs of heat throughout the room.