05

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
THE NIGHTMARES
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺THE NIGHTMARES≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

⋆✩⋆

"Why do you skate?"

Ashlynn hadn't spoken for the past five minutes of the walk home with Max Mayfield. They walked with a three foot gap in between them, for more reasons than one created by Ashlynn's mind. She'd ended up in a scenario that she definitely shouldnt have with Max, and all fault lay on her.

The crisp halloween air kept hitting Ashlynn harshly, her teeth jittering and her arms shivering. Her costume wasnt built for this weather. Ashlynn looked at Max, who had been slowly skating with her eyes on her board the whole walk.

"Uh, I dont really know? I guess its calming and its really fun. I...uh, I can teach you if you want?" Max looked down at the skateboard she was slowly rolling down the street, then up to Ashlynn. Ashlynn had never thought of skateboarding, but whenever she saw Max skating she admired her.

The way her red hair flowed in the wind when she, quite literally, soared down the streets. The pink hue her cheeks acquired when the cold air hit her, or perhaps the breathy smile she wore the entire time she skated. Thats what made her admire Max's skating.

"If you want to. Please dont make me fall." Ashlynn let out a gentle laugh.

"I would never." Max playfully laughed at Ashlynn as they turned the corner. Max stepped off of the board and rolled it toward Ashlynn, who pulled her leg away quickly when she felt the wooden board hit her. She smiled at Max, though the smile didn't reach her eyes and placed her foot on the middle of the board. Max shook her head and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Put your foot at the front of the board, see where those screws are? And push off with your other one. Place your back foot sideways when you step on with it." Ashlynn shakily sighed, following Max's instructions carefully. She pushed off with her back foot and smiled as the cool halloween air hit her face, Max's cheers of encouragement behind her.

Ashlynn had a strong grin on her face as she skated through the street, her hair flailing around her. That was until she realised she was going awfully fast and she didnt know how to stop. The skateboard rattled beneath her as she shuffled her feet with a panic.

Two hands made their way onto Ashlynns shoulders, balancing her. Max placed her right foot on the back of the skateboard, slowing it to a halt.

"You okay?" Max asked with a smile, slightly out of breath.

"Yeah i think so." Ashlynn returned the smile, staring into Max's eyes with awe. Honestly, she didn't realise she was doing it until Max clicked her fingers infront of her eyes,