Chapter 2

PENELOPE

From the look on his face I know that he recognized me too. I bet he remembers the night that we spent together. I told myself to live silently and I always pray not to cross my paths with him.

We both made a mistake. This will cause an uproar to his family. Fear started to consume me. He shouldn't know about Sunny's existence.

I saw his mouth opened like he was about to say something but a doctor came out of the emergency room.

"Mr. Hernandez?" he called out

"I'm right here, Doc." malakas na sabi nito

He made some strange movements and he looks constrained that he can't stand up. It made me notice the kids sleeping on his lap.

His kids?

"Tatay...." the girl groaned

My face paled and I felt a stab on my heart. Right, he's married. It's not weird for him to have kids. I saw how he gently tapped the girl's back to make her sleep again. He really looks good with kids.

Naisip ko tuloy kung ganoon din ba ang magiging trato niya sa anak namin. I bit my lips with my thoughts and shook my head mentally. If he and his wife knew about Sunny, their family might be ruined.

Nagpanggap akong hindi ako nakikinig sa usapan nila ng doktor pero nanatili ako sa upuan ko at tahimik na nakinig. I can't deny the fact that I'm curious about him and his family.

"Your wife and baby is safe now. Mabuti na lang at nadala niyo siya agad sa hospital. Your wife looked so stress and that's bad for the baby. Does she take any vitamins for her pregnancy?"

I clenched my fist on my lap and I fight the urge to cry again.

I'm sorry, Sunny. I will tell you about your father someday.

"We have no idea that she's pregnant. Ngayon lang namin nalaman nang magbleeding siya kanina. She had a miscarriage before, hindi ba iyon makakaapekto sa kanila ng baby?" worry was evident on his voice

I smiled bitterly. Of course, it's normal for a husband to love his wife. What am I doing here anyway? Hurting myself perhaps?

"Your wife is perfectly fine. Malakas naman ang kapit ng baby pero kailangan pa rin maging maingat lalo na't nagbleeding si misis. By the way, congratulations. She's six weeks pregnant. I will prescribe some vitamins and milk for her. I assume you already know the basics because you already had two children." the doctor assured him

I collected all my courage and left the scene immediately. I hope I'll never see him again. Not meeting each other will do us good.

WE stayed in Batanes for the funeral, it was my grandfather's dying wish. All of us were surprisingly calm during the wake but when the day of the interment came, we all weep. Even my cousins weep in front of me and the visitors.

I felt like Sunny understood what's going on, she never had a tantrum since Lolo died. She's unusually quiet and sleeping obediently.

I found myself in dazed. I momentarily forgot about Darnell since Lolo's funeral. I was busy grieving to even think about him.

He's here in Batanes and I don't even have a clue if he's still here. No, I shouldn't be thinking about him.

"Pen, I'll take your luggage." Theo offered

I obediently complied. Babalik na kami ngayon sa Manila. We can't stay here for that long. May mga trabaho kaming naiwan doon.

"Kuya, nasaan si Tito—" napahinto ako sa pagsasalita nang makita ang balita na pinapanood ni Kuya Riley