Chapter 12

The bell rang just as I stood outside the school entrance and made a show of entering the hallways as I wasn't just lurking around before hours. My mind turned into a mush as the students around me increased in number and I started having a headache.

But my attention kept shifting to my bag which  constantly felt heavy like I had bricks in it, when it was just a laptop.

The laptop which was going to ruin my school life.

I made space for myself between the clusters of students as I looked here and there to search for Jake, who was supposed to meet me by now.

But instead of him, I locked eyes with Amy who smiled and started walking towards me.

"Hey you all right?" She asked with concern in her amber eyes.

"Yeah," I nodded not sure why she'd ask that and so I voiced my thoughts.

"You look a bit pale." She shrugged as she opened her locker and stopped as something dawned on her.

"Wait did you open— " But her sentence was cut off when she saw someone behind me.

"Ahem," a familiar annoying voice made me turn around and I saw Ashley with a huge devious smile on her face.

"Yes?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow and prodded her to go on.

For a few seconds her smile froze and she was thrown off guard. I had never replied to her nonchalantly and it disturbed her quite a bit.

But she regained her posture quickly and cleared her throat. I read her mind already and I knew she'd make an excuse to make me open my locker.

"Williams." I looked to my side and saw Jake approaching me with a huge genuine smile on his face and I couldn't help but return one.

Well aren't we all crowding here.

"Thank you," he said as he placed his hand on my shoulder. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion as his hand moved to my bag handle and started sliding it from my arm to take it, "for looking after my bag." It was my new black Adidas bag which I brought to school today and was excited to use it.

I was about to retort and snatch away my bag from him when his voice entered my head and I let out a scream.

Just play along, the laptops in your bag right ?

Everyone looked at me with shock as if something was wrong with me. I mean I was thrown off guard okay?

Next time a heads up please before you bombard yourself in my head.

I looked at Jake for a split second to give him a warning look making sure it was unnoticed by Ashley.

But she just rolled her eyes, appreciated Jake that how he had already started using me as a lobby-man and came straight to the point.

"Open your locker Alexis." She crossed her arms as she loosely threw the statement.

But now I wasn't just going to cave in like every time. Sure if I did open my locker she would be shocked to the core but I decided to stall for some.

"And why would I do that?"

"I think it's her decision to open her locker and you should back off Ashley." Jake butted in and honestly I was stunned.

I didn't expect him to side with me as he clearly went with Ashley before school. But now that I realised they both weren't together when they came to see me.