Chapter 16

I looked at the blonde guy questioningly as I was slightly confused.

Okay scratch that. I was completely confused.

My gaze travelled back inside the house where Jake was nowhere to be seen and I turned towards the guy who patiently waited for me to say something as his smile never wore off.

"You're Jake Flynn?" I asked slowly as I confirmed what I heard.

"Yes." He nodded and before he could speak anything, the door slammed shut.

On its own.

I recoiled back instinctively from the sudden movement and locked eyes with Jake who stood beside the door as he crossed his arms defiantly.

"Did you do that?" I asked with my mouth open as I was terrified.

"Don't listen to a word that he says." Jake ignored my question and said in hushed tones.

"Is he trying to impersonate you?" My eyes widened in horror as I came to a conclusion that seemed right for that moment.

For a few seconds Jake seemed to be caught off guard as he opened and closed his mouth like a fish. But he ultimately gave me a nod which made me stare at the door in horror.

I gingerly looked through the peephole again and saw that the guy who claimed himself as Jake Flynn was nowhere to be seen. And I looked back at the real Jake as I told him about it.

"Looks like he ran away realising that he was caught." Jake put in nonchalantly and strolled back to the living room as if nothing happened.

I followed him, my mind still buzzing with a lot of questions. If the guy outside was claiming to be Jake Flynn, did that mean that guy was bad news?

The memory of his genuine smile and his warm behaviour was still fresh in my mind as I replayed it and he didn't seem harmful at all.

"Look Alexis," Jake began as he audibly sighed, "Just know that there is good and bad for everything.

"Which means," he continued to explain as he took in my baffled expression, "if there are good readers then there are bad readers."

"So you mean to say that the guy outside was a bad reader?"

He nodded to my question.

"And how are readers bad exactly?"

"You see we are very small in number," he began as he took a seat on the sofa, "about a hundred give or take."

"Really? Hundred is a lot."

"It is." He agreed with me, "But it is less compared to the world population is what I meant. Anyway, there are readers who want to keep this number for as long as they can. And as soon as they find out that it has increased," he paused as he looked at me with a blank expression, " they have their ways to bring it back to the hundred mark."

"I don't understand." I asked as I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"They kill the new readers Alexis." He said bluntly and my eyes widened in horror.

"W-what? W-why?"

"These bad readers," he air quoted them as he continued, "consider themselves as an elite group with powers which only a few of them possess. So if the number of readers increase, the sense of being elite decreases." He held an index finger up as he said, "and another reason is that they fear their secret would be revealed if there are more readers."

"And the good readers are opposed to it right?"

"Yes." He nodded, "So I hope you get why I said not to believe that guy outside the door. You're right, he is bad news." He concluded as he answered my previous doubt, clearly giving away that he read my mind.

"H-he was here to kill me?" My blue eyes were the size of saucers as I came to this revelation.

"Don't worry." Jake waved a hand dismissively as he got up, "He will be taken care of."

"Where are you going?" I asked in panic.

"Home." He gave a slight laugh at my horrified state, "Relax Alexis," he grabbed my shoulders gently, "No one is going to hurt you."

"What if he comes back?" I was clearly hyperventilating and I knew I should stop. But my mind and body weren't in co-ordination like my mind had gone on a vacation while my body was looking helpless as it searched for my brains.

"He won't." Jake said with all the firmness he could muster and I nodded slightly in response.