Chapter 17

Jake wasn't his usual self anymore after that day where a guy waltzed in and proclaimed himself as 'Jake Flynn'. I was clueless why but he became distant after that and only interacted with me when it was required.

He had started hanging out with James and his group and he even stopped sitting with me and Amy. I mean okay, he made other friends and he doesn't want to sit with us anymore.

But he didn't even think about informing the same. We had to sit with an empty third chair expecting it to be occupied by him only to find the guy himself taking a seat on the centre table and not looking at us once. 

I tried talking to him in class, near the lockers, in the parking lot but he just gave me cold, uninterested replies and walked away.

Seriously what was up with him?

I thought as Mrs. Jones yapped about something I didn't pay attention to. My thoughts kept drifting to Jake and his sudden change in demeanour. Also now that I looked back I realised that I knew nothing about him.

Except the fact that his father was a billionaire.

He had taught me, however, to stop unnecessary thoughts of others by using the pebble that I wore around my neck. As I stopped by his locker and demanded his weird nature he just snapped his fingers as if he recalled something and changed the topic to the pebble that I wore. He told me that the key was to just stare at the person I wanted to read and the ornament would dim down the other thoughts and make that person's voice louder in my mind.

And then walked away.

Without waiting for a reply.

Apart from his cold behaviour he still had to teach me how to block my own thoughts from other readers but he always dodged it or waved a hand dismissively as if he was stalling for time.

I wondered why.

The bell rang which signalled the end of class and I gathered my books and bag with a sudden determination to confront Jake.

I manoeuvred my way towards his locker and noticed his golden brown hair right away. My eyebrows however shot up all the way to my forehead when I saw Cara Minette flirting with him and he didn't protest her hands running all over him.

He was talking to Ronan Brown about basketball and Cara just laughed at whatever was being told; her mind covered with Jake. I felt a pang of jealousy hitting me when Jake didn't bother to stop Cara's arm snaking around his waist. He stood there leaning against the locker with his hands in his light blue jean pocket.

"I want to talk to you now." I demanded as I skipped pleasantries and gave him a stern gaze.

Both the boys stopped talking as they looked at me and Jake raised an eyebrow questioningly.

Meanwhile, Cara tightened her arms around him and I looked at her and resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"Sure," He shrugged as he straightened himself, "Talk."

"Not here. Someplace else." I replied annoyingly.

Ronan let out a whistle as he teased Jake's popularity but I ignored him.

"See you at 3." Jake informed Ronan as he looked amused and walked away before giving a nod.

Okay that was surprisingly easy, I thought until Cara's arms didn't let him move any further.

"You can say what you want in front of me." She snarled at me thinking that I was going to seduce my way with him.

This time I rolled my eyes as I said, "Are you really that insecure that he'll be in my arms if you aren't present?"