Chapter 21

When Jake first told me that he was supposed to be at his father's party, I was shocked and told him a big no straight away. I mean, we were talking about the same man who froze time and practically threatened his son and he chose to do all that in front of me.

However, he explained that he was in no intention to go as well but his father had threatened him if he didn't show up. My eyes widened when I heard him say that. I have no idea why people who hold the power always chose to use that thing against people who don't.

Jake didn't bother to explain me further and when I tried convincing him that there might be some other way to get out of it, he chose to be adamant and so I squared my shoulders and said that I'll be going as well.

Even though the party was open for everyone in the town, Jake strictly warned me to stay out of it.

But I wasn't going to let him face his father alone. I chose to be unshakeable in my decision and so Jake slumped his shoulders in defeat as he slowly nodded.

Right now I was standing in the vast hall and I wore a sleeveless black dress with a twirling skirt. I wasn't really sure about it until I stepped out of a spare room in Jake's house and the guy himself was not able to take his eyes off of me.

I hadn't even stepped in the hall when I was instantly bombarded with voices. But this time I had my pebble with me and so I concentrated on one person at a time. They were just useless as half of them were about food, sex or wanting to get on Mr. Flynn's good side.

I inwardly blame Jake, because he never taught me how to use the best of my abilities. Even though I was used to reading minds now I still had to learn to use it properly.

I could read a particular person's thoughts by concentrating on them as the pebble around my neck would act as a filter.

But other than that, I was clueless.

The fact that I couldn't read a few people's mind present around me made me anxious as it meant that they were readers like me.

Which also meant that they could read my mind.

Not that I was plotting a whole evil ass plan against them but the fact that someone else could see right through me, was scary.

Even when I was doing the same thing for months with others.

My eyes scanned the room which was buzzing with laughter and the occasional clinking of champagne glasses and stopped when I saw familiar blonde ringlets.

I immediately began concentrating on her, hoping that I could get something out. But my mind was drawing a blank.

How is that even possible?

When I told Jake about it, he didn't comment much and he had even changed the subject. For some moments I felt that maybe he was hiding something from me.

But then I brushed them off.

"Hey beautiful." A familiar arm glided around my waist as I looked behind to see Jake in his glory.

My eyes raked down his body as I saw him in a black suit and my mind began all the dirty thoughts it could come up with, not bothering that Jake could clearly hear them.

"Hey." I said breathlessly but surprisingly, he didn't respond in a cocky manner.

Did he really stop reading my mind ?

I gazed down at the black thread that disappeared under his suit and looked back up at him.

"Where is Amy?" He asked questioningly as his greyish-blue eyes scanned the hall.

"She went to freshen up." I said as I turned around to look at the door that had 'Women' printed on it, "Don't know what's taking her so long." I muttered to myself.

I realised that Jake was a little restless and he didn't quite meet my eye. He kept surveying the room as he was searching for someone.

"Is everything okay?" I asked carefully as I thought this had something to do with his father.

I had seen him earlier alright. And no one could say that he was the same man who had threatened his own son. He was surprisingly gentle and warm to everyone he met before he walked upstairs and disappeared.

"I wanted to tell you something—-" he began hesitantly but he stopped talking when someone placed a hand on my shoulder and I instantly recalled the revolting thick voice.

"We meet again."

A cold voice seeped through my ears and I saw the colour drain out of Jake's face. I knew instantly who that was as I slowly turned around and met my gaze with familiar green eyes.

I shook my shoulder to brush off his firm hand on me but unlike last time he obliged.

"Unfortunately." I said as I smiled tightly.

"Jake." He stopped as he smirked at me and looked at Jake, who wasn't meeting my gaze, "Or might I say Bryan."