Chapter 18

Before Jake dragged me any further, he stopped as if he sensed something shift. He looked around with caution and I ended up doing the same.

To my horror, the students that were walking to their respective classes seemed to slow down in their pace and they eventually came to a stop. They all looked like realistic statues because of their lack of movement.

One guy had just slipped but he froze with his one leg horizontal in the air and the other just an inch above the ground while his arms were flailing about which made his slip incomplete.

I would have certainly laughed at his animate expressions if all this wasn't chilling to witness.

"Don't leave my hand." Jake said tightly as he looked around, his calculative greyish-blue eyes scanning the people that were now frozen. Instinctively, I got closer to him as I obeyed and we both inched behind until our backs were touching the row of lockers.

"What is happening?" I asked as my eyes frantically took in the frozen hands of the wall clock.

Time had stopped.

I had only watched this stuff happening in movies and I'll be honest, it's thrilling to watch it on screen but in real life it's completely horrifying.

What was more horrifying, was that we both were still moving, which meant that the someone who had stopped time didn't choose to freeze us.

"Dennis." Jake whispered in a low voice as his eyes were now trained to the right side of the hallway. I followed his gaze and saw a man dressed in all black approaching us slowly with his hands behind his back.

His pace was slow as if he had all the time in the world but there was something about his appearance that made him look menacing. His head was almost bald with the remaining grey hairs slicked back neatly. His eyes were fixed on us and he held a smug smirk when they dropped to our entwined hands.

My first instinct was to immediately remove my hand from Jake's grasp but then I remembered him strictly telling me not to do that. I didn't know the reason why but I didn't want to take any chances right then.

"Jake." He stopped in front of us as he addressed Jake like he knew him.

But Jake didn't seem to like the encounter as he replied tightly, "Dennis."

So-called Dennis raised an amusing eyebrow but he didn't choose to say anything.

His pale green eyes then turned to me, "So is this the new reader?"

He said it like I wasn't present there and I stopped myself from giving him a sour look. And what exactly did he mean to say when he talked about me like that?

Did this mean the man was a reader himself?

"Why are you here?" Jake seethed as he ignored his question.

The man's thin lips curved downwards as he took a threatening step towards Jake. He brought his gloved hand up and Jake immediately flinched backwards even when there was no space behind.

Dennis grabbed his face roughly as he said, "Now, now. Is this the way to talk to your boss?"

"You're not my boss anymore." Jake managed to reply and I had never seen him so frightened before.

He averted his gaze away from the menacing green eyes and before I could stop myself I said, "Get your hands off of him!"

Dennis's head snapped towards me and he smirked, "I see."