Chapter 7

The next morning came all too soon. Both of them prepared silently for the wedding. Even though the lacings of the gown were simple, Padme helped Rey anyway. She knew that Rey wanted to forget as much as possible about the wedding in an hour. Rey waited for Kylo in the living room. They were to walk together to the room where the wedding was. Other than a wedding official, no one else would be there. So, he was denying her a real wedding too. What was new?

Kylo walked out of his room, still in black, but the outfit was more formal than what he typically wore. He stared at Rey when he saw her. She was absolutely beautiful. His grandmother's gown accentuated her lovely figure and the veil framed her face beautifully. He knew she was unhappy, though. She smiled a little, but he wasn't sure if it was real. He held out his arm again and she took it, reluctantly. Would she ever want to touch him willingly? Probably not.

The ceremony was relatively quick. The official had them recite everything in under an hour. Finally, the announcement was made that it was time to kiss the bride. Kylo and Rey's eyes met, and he leaned in slowly and kissed her. He had meant it to be quick, but the kiss lingered on. To his surprise, Rey was kissing him back. Probably because she feels she has to Not because she actually wants to kiss me. With that sudden thought, Ren ended the kiss. The official left the room and only Kylo and Rey were left. The Force ghosts had stayed for the ceremony but had left before the kiss.

"We could go outside again, if you want. The day's not over yet." Neither of them wanted to think about later.

Rey nodded and the two of them went back to the suite to change into warmer clothes. Rey found a soft, grey gown in the closet with a black cape. It looked warm enough. She couldn't borrow Kylo's cloak again. Not that she wanted to. She tried not to think of him or the wedding they had just had. But she couldn't help it. She was Lady Ren now, the commander's wife. She couldn't have foreseen that. She wondered what Master Luke would have said to that. Maybe he could have prevented it. The question was, would she have even wanted him too? She wasn't sure. Kylo's kiss still lingered on her lips, but she didn't find herself repulsed by it. She found herself replaying the moment instead. She had expected the kiss to be harsh and quick, but it had been tender and longer than she expected. As if he didn't want it to end. But she hadn't wanted it to end either. Rey shook her head, she couldn't let one kiss change everything that she felt for him. She still hated him, didn't she?

A few moments later, she left the safety of her room and went outside with Kylo. It was colder now, with winter approaching. She was glad she had gloves this time. She had found soft, fur gloves in the closet as well. Had the clothes been Padme's? They must have been.

"You must hate me." Kylo looked at her, there was sadness and regret in his eyes. He didn't seem like Kylo Ren at all in this moment.

Everything in Rey wanted to say that she did hate him, that she would always hate him, but she knew that it wasn't completely true. "I don't hate you." She admitted softly. Ren didn't know what to say to that, so the two of them continued on in silence.

"Out here, you can say whatever you want. It's just us now."

"I'm not sure I have anything else to say. My dreams have just been shattered in two, and my heart broken when I lost everyone I ever loved two days ago. There's nothing left for me to say that you either haven't already heard or don't already know. I know you can sense some of my thoughts."

"I'm not trying to," He defended.

"I can sense parts of your thoughts, too. It's not a secret." She had made it sound so casual, but he knew that she was just covering up some of the hurt she felt. He had taken everything from her, and it had all been without a second thought. She was sure that he couldn't care less.