Chapter 16: Epilogue

Leia was the first to say something.

"Rey, Ben," Ben stiffened, but didn't make eye contact. "I'm sorry about what happened, to both of you. I should have listened to you, Rey. I shouldn't have assumed that your marriage dictated your actions. I know mine never did." Han grinned slightly and nodded in agreement. Leia had never done anything or said anything because he told her to. She had her own mind.

"And Ben, I know that I wasn't there for you like I should have been. I have always regretted that. Is there any chance that either of you could forgive me?" Rey looked at Ben and saw the hurt in his eyes. He hadn't expected Leia to regret anything. Could he really trust her?

He continued to hold Rey's hand for support and remarked stiffly, "Yes, I think we both can forgive you, in time." Rey nodded, but wasn't sure what else to say. Ben remained distant. He hadn't realized how much he had actually missed his mother after all these years, but he didn't want to get hurt again. With Han though, the feelings hadn't changed. Considering his father had said nothing throughout the apology, he didn't think that he had anything to add.

"Han Solo, I've been waiting for this day for a long time."

Han and Ben stepped forward, but both were wary of each other.

"It's about time you took off that ridiculous mask."

"Han..." Leia started, but he only looked at her.

"I'm surprised that you noticed. But I'm not the only one who's ever hid behind something. At least now there's nothing left to say."

"I just wanted my son back."

"I wanted my father. Seems neither of us got what we wanted. How disappointing."

"Perhaps I misjudged you."

"Not sure you were even around enough to judge. It's too late now."

"I guess it is." He and his father would always be at odds. But if Han would be civil, he would too. Before any more awkward silence took over, Ben left the balcony and went off find his and Rey's suites. Suddenly, he heard soft footsteps behind him. Rey.

"Ben, are you alright?" He shook his head and stroked her cheek softly. She leaned in, then leaned into him closer. Rey buried her face in his chest and they stayed like that for a while. Han and Leia watched the two of them from a distance.

"It seems like she really does care about him," Han muttered softly, not wanting to believe it. Even after all this time, he still only saw the darkness and not the light that was so apparent to everyone else. Leia saw that light, but Han was still convinced that both she and Rey saw only what they wanted to see. Han regretted the pain that his actions towards Ben had caused Leia but didn't want to let Ben back into his life. Even if he did, Ben wasn't willing and unless Leia said something, neither was he. He left the room and Leia followed him as they continued to walk through the palace. No one had lived here in years, so a lot of work and repairs would need to be done to restore it to its former glory. But the palace wasn't the only thing needing repairs. She knew that Han and Ben were set on their differences, but she hoped that someday they might reconcile. It seemed that day was a long way off.

After holding each other for a while, Ben and Rey went off to find their room, wanting to be away from everyone else. It had been slightly uncomfortable seeing Han and Leia so soon after the events of what had only been last night. Both were still cautious around the two. After seeing the way Han and Ben spoke to each other, Rey understood why they didn't really have much of a relationship. Neither of them trusted each other. She wanted to believe that Han cared about Ben, but she hadn't been able to sense it. It was clear that Leia did seem to love Ben, but with Han, there weren't any emotions like that. His anger towards Ben was strong, and the feeling was mutual. If only Padme had waited before bringing Han and Leia back into their lives. It might have been too much too soon.