Chapter Twenty-Eight: Leaving Isn't Better Than Trying

Andie's POV:

At first, I was too shocked to cry. But now... I've been crying non-stop for the past two hours. I've cried so much that I think I've finally shed all the tears I possible can. I've been up against this wall for far too long and finally pull myself together, starting to make my way home.

All I've been doing is pulling apart the memories of Cole and me, trying to see if I could spot anything suspicious.

I remember assuming he had something up his sleeve when he was moved near me in Health class. He actually tried speaking, more like flirting, when he found out I was related to Josh. But after how he acted around me I ruled it out pretty quickly.

Well of course he acted like that, stupid. It was part of it all.

I drag my feet against the gravel and maybe thirty minutes later, maybe more, I'm finally on my street. Pulling my phone out my pocket, I check the time to see school finishes in ten minutes. That gives me fifteen minutes to prepare myself to speak to another person.

My eyes burn and I wouldn't be surprised if I look like something out of the walking dead. Shoving my phone back in my pocket, I look up and stop in my tracks.

What is he doing here?

He's over to me in a flash and I walk fast, hoping I can get my keys out of my bag and slam the door in his face before he has the chance to speak to me. He grabs my hands and spins me around to look at him. Just looking him in the eyes is enough to turn the pieces of my broken heart into smithereens.

I pull my hand out of his grip and he speaks. "Princess, I beg you, just hear me out. I can explain everything." It looks like desperation on his face and I want to scream at myself for nearly going up to him, kissing him then and there. But I remind myself of what he did. To me.

He's a liar.

"What's there to be said, Cole?" My voice is croaky and it hurt my throat to even speak.

"I-I know that I lied to you but it's not like that I promise you. I admit it was my first plan but it's—"

"It's a bunch of lies," I interrupt, "You lied to me. All along." My voice cracks and I tear my gaze from his, rummaging through my bag for my keys.

Come on, come on, come on.

"No just listen to me, it all changed straight away. You know what? That 'plan' meant shit. I just wanted to spend time with you. I never lied to you about how I feel, I l—." This time someone else cuts in and I couldn't be more thankful.

"What's going on here?" Josh and Mia must've pulled up and I didn't even realise. All my attention was on the guy who's just broken my heart. Seeing him feels like I'm being stabbed in the stomach.

Thank god I didn't tell him I loved him.

Fuck.

The watch. My grandfather's watch... I dropped it back at school.

"Nothing is going on. I'm going inside and Cole's leaving." I try my best to look at him but I just can't seem to do it so I settle for the floor instead and I spot what Cole's wearing on his wrist.

Stab.

Stab.

One for my stomach. One for my heart. 

If he's got the watch that means he's read the letter. Christ, why did I write a stupid fucking letter?

I'm about to demand he takes it off but Cole speaks.