12* November Rain

*Title from the song November Rain by Guns n' Roses*

Severus and Leonor managed it to the first landing of the stairs. She sagged to the floor; the body apathetic. Severus pulled her up, leaning the witch against the wall and holding her tight to remain upright. He wanted Leonor to summon her strength, use the natural powers — against the mordant pain. She needed to fight the feeling of betrayal and defeat by an evil plot. They had to get out of Malfoy Manor, quickly. The stairs could be overheard, a dangerous area if Bellatrix strolled through the door. The smallest sound of weakness and Narcissa's sister wouldn't hesitate a split second to curse them both.

Severus took a flask with potion from the inside pocket and forced Leonor to drink. She resisted, panicking under the new threat, fighting the male pressure until the liquid reduced the tremor and cleared the numbness of the curse. Severus released the screen of the memory charm and tears broke free.

"Be quiet and come!" whispered Severus, touching her cheek slightly when Leonor leaned against his chest, sobbing.

They turned. Lucius Malfoy stood at the bottom of the stairs, watching them with a mixture of surprise and curiosity. Severus seized Leonor's arm, leading the woman downstairs. He ignored Lucius's gaze and nodded a brief greeting while leaving through the hall into the cool and damp night.

Soon they landed in the apothecary's garden and Leonor slipped from Severus' grip, immediately choking and squirming in convulsion. Leonor managed it inside and upstairs, leaving Severus with a worried face towards the closed bathroom door. He got rid of the heavy cloak and the disgusting black mask, cursing it with a twisted expression of helplessness.

He uncased two more flasks contemplating to bring it to Leonor immediately. Instead, Severus walked to the sink to shorten the waiting time, washing hands, arms and face with burning hot water aiming to sanitize against the growing mix of anger, shame and fear. He finished the exercise unsatisfied with himself when Leonor returned. The wizard didn't know what to say staring at her tired eyes, framed by dark circles, ashen skin and colourless lips. He felt relieved when she spoke first.

"I feel better, had trouble with my stomach travelling back from the bird trader already," she snivelled feeling embarrassed; it had not been her bravest response to violence today.

"The pull of apparition through the Dark Mark is heavy, there is a difference. It made me sick when I used it the first time after being branded. Drink that." Severus said it quietly, pointing to the two flasks on the table, uncorking them.

"Are all the real memories back in my head?" asked the witch checking the potions carefully before emptying the small glass bottles.

"Yes. You need to eat something."

"Just a tea, something warm." Leonor's lips shook, suppressing the urge to cry while swallowing the bitter taste of the medicine.

"Go to bed, I get you a tea." Severus embraced Leonor's slim and slightly shaking body, running gentle fingers through the dark-brown hair. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

"It isn't your fault. How did I do?"

"Don't worry about that."

"Tell me! I wasn't in control anymore. The apparition, the curse."

"Not too bad. You kept Bella in check."

"She cursed me in the end."

"Still, you made an impression." Severus took Leonor's face in his hands, examining her with pride and holding the fear about the fragile condition carefully wrapped.

"What's coming next?" She looked in the ocean grey eyes. They were now soft and calm, the unwavering formidable mask of steel and supremacy had been replaced by the usual unfathomable depth. It felt safe.