27* Another July

Heather hugged Leonor and patted her on the back saying, "Nice that you visited for the Sunday Brunch; we'll repeat that whenever the pub offers another possibility. You are always so ... unsmiling. But you enjoyed yourself today, didn't you?"

"I did and thank you very much for the invitation. You and Thomas are so attentive, helping with the children and everything whenever I ask." Leonor shuffled her feet. "It was lovely to be here."

"Don't mention it! It's about time to meet our small wizarding community."

"Well, I should go now. Marcus and Eileen are whining. They are tired after playing with the other children."

Leonor wrapped Marcus safely in her cloak who leaned the head against her shoulder, the eyelids heavy with sleep.

"I'll floo him home and return quickly to get Eileen. I cannot manage having both in my arms anymore. They grow so fast."

"No worries. I can bring Eileen if you want," suggested Heather tilting her head and pressing the matter of Leonor's home once again.

"One day, I'll invite you. Promised!" said Leonor firmly giving no extra information. She meant it and disappeared in the green flames to return just minutes later picking up her daughter from Heather's arms.

It took not long until both children were in a deep slumber. Leonor yawned; the interruptions of the nightly sleep when Marcus was hungry, the overall circumstances and the sea air made her still more tired than busy days allowed. She walked slowly upstairs, deciding to leave potion making for once and have a nap instead. Each time when she returned, she hoped to hear Severus' voice but today at was silent again. More fear clenched the heart with every step; blaming herself for leaving the cottage and frightened by the thought that it was too late.

And then, there was something different. Severus leaned against the headboard; eyes closed.

"Sev," called Leonor cautiously.

She placed herself on the edge of the bed, taking Severus' hand. It was comfortable warm. She squeezed it lightly, and he opened the eyes, first gazing to the window and squinting against the bright blue sky then turning towards her.

Severus looked at Leonor, enchanted by the soft voice, feeling cool fingers on his skin. Her brown eyes sparkled, the face pale and calm. Leonor was even more slender than he remembered, the dark straight hair carefully placed around her left shoulder. She wore a night-blue dress with the casual elegance he admired so much. Shadows of worry blighted the beautiful eyes and grey strands accented the dark brown hair again. He had to keep a better eye I on her.

"Sev, you woke up. I hardly believe it," she whispered pressing a kiss to his lips, hesitant and gentle. Then she beamed at him.

He didn't respond to it, just tried it with a crooked smile, inhaling the familiar smell of lilies of the valley.

"Can you speak?"

Severus shook his head; the picture of the snake coiling in the cage and biting through his neck returned. He remembered that he spoke last words to Harry Potter after giving him all the painful memories. He had no clue what the boy made of it nor did he know how he came here. But it was certain that it was the cottage 'Above the Cliffs'. He straightened again in that new life and looked around, searching an idea about what to do next. His mind was blank.

"I bring you something to drink. You must be thirsty," suggested Leonor and left him to think about the taste of pure sparkling water running down the burning throat.

She hurried away, returning first with a glass of water and later with a tray of different food, soup, tea, fruits, chocolate.

She still beamed at him, taking the empty glass and conjuring a small table to set the tray down that Severus could eat. It looked delicious and created a selfish feeling of immense hunger in him. He had never been that hungry before.