30* Love

The coastal cottage lay silent in the mild evening breeze. The yellow sun reflected in the dark windows. Leonor walked tired through the kissing gate, carrying a heavy shoulder bag with potion supplies and fleecy jumpers for Marcus and Eileen. She inhaled the salty air and relaxed for a moment. After the home visits she returned to the cottage eating lunch with her family, but Severus urged her to go shopping. She joked that 'he wanted to get rid of her' and he explained that it was better to browse Diagon Alley before all students purchased school items and robes. Leonor agreed grudgingly and took Severus' list of missing stocks to get the necessary resupply. She stopped quickly at Alma's clothes shop, emptied the letterbox in the apothecary and saw if all things were alright in the otherwise empty house. The busy Diagon Alley distracted Leonor finally, and she filled her bag step by step.

"I'm back," called Leonor when she entered the narrow corridor and put the shopping to the workplace in the storeroom.

"Severus?" Leonor called again and listened. The broomsticks and a pair of wellington boots stood in the corner as always but the door to the kitchen was closed and it was incredibly quiet. That was unusual, and she hesitated to press the handle down, an anxious feeling clenched her stomach. But Severus waited motionless behind the door, he smiled shyly at her, dressed in his best clothes.

Severus embraced Leonor dearly, whispering nothing except 'I missed you', his mouth caressed her earlobe. She wanted to protest but he anticipated her fear. "Marcus and Eileen are with Heather and Thomas. We have the night to us."

Leonor took still a step backwards, frowning.

Severus reassured quickly, "Everything is alright. We played at the beach, made a walk to the farmhouse. Eileen was impressed by the sheep and Marcus smiled listening to the excited bleating goats. Heather was pleased to spoil them with cacao and sweets."

"It's their first night away from me," said Leonor flustered. "Was that necessary? They would have been sleepy after your tour anyway."

"I suggest we take a walk."

"I don't understand."

"Come, I explain." Severus took Leonor's hand and led her through the corridor into the mild evening. "Let's walk along the cliffs." Severus wrapped his arm around Leonor's shoulder keeping her tight. Leonor appeared tense and nervous but silent. A marvellous view of the sea invited to hold out in silence.

Severus spoke first. "In the last weeks I made arrangements for you and the children. I visited my parents' house and noticed that the muggles bought up Spinner's End for a new residential area. I seized the opportunity and sold the few square meters for a decent price."

"You mentioned to bring things here?"

"There was nothing to preserve. I vanished most of it. Some dangerous but valuable books are on the attic, secured by spells in a sealed box. I'm sure every bookseller would be pleased to sell them for an amazing price."

"Why haven't you told me earlier?"

"Well, I contacted Gringotts and visited my mother's vault where I sent my teacher's salary for years. The goblins have been extremely helpful to organize that without involving the ministry."

Severus pulled a rusty metal key from his pocket. "The key is yours." He pressed the cold iron into Leonor's hands. "It is no fortune, but enough for you as long as Marcus and Eileen are small. If all goes well with your business, it will also pay for their education."

"No, I'm not going to take it."

"I'm not asking. The vault is already assigned to you." Severus pressed the opener back into Leonor's hands. "The profit from selling Spinner's End is shared between Eileen and Marcus and safely stored in a deposit. They can access it once they come off age. I'll give you the papers later."