16* A Fallback Plan

June 1997

The large Siberian eagle owl soared noiseless through the open window in Leonor's potion kitchen, snatched one of the biscuits out of the large bowl on the sideboard and settled satisfied on the table. Pauline and Hugo delivered mail-orders, or the eagle owl hadn't dared to take the snack so cheekily.

Leonor glanced in direction of the mountains worried about the other two owls; until now the pair always escaped the attacks. It was a hard time for the postmen with feathers. Owls got robbed and injured; often they reached the destination with delays if at all. The post office in Hogsmeade required advance booking of the birds meanwhile. There had been many losses in the recent past.

Severus wrote daily just a few words, asking if Leonor was alright, and she answered back with the same small talk. None of the letters included a hint about the baby, no initials or names. They never wrote anything big; and still that ritual was the most important of the day. Severus refused to stay overnight since Minerva discovered his absence. Hours together were rare.

"Here you are!" said Leonor, untied the small scroll of parchment from the owl's leg and rolled up the paper. Again, two written sentences, but not the usual words.

I wait Saturday night seven o'clock at the gate. Bring your holdall.

Leonor scribbled happily on an empty piece of paper that she agreed. She would have cancelled any appointment for that. She looked forward to the weekend. Whatever Severus planned in the middle of the exam season was a welcome change, some hours talking, huddling against each other, kissing.

XXX

Severus strode up and down in front of the pillars with the majestic wild boars. He was anxious knowing that Leonor expected a nice and relaxed evening. The due date of the baby was likely just four or five weeks ahead. She needed pleasure, rest, moments to remember, but not the excitement he brought tonight. Severus pinched his nose slightly in thought and not a hundred percent convinced if he decided correctly and for the best.

A person came now into view, clad in black — Leonor. She omitted her favourite green colour already for a while and chose black, occasionally mixed with some silver or blue, but never prominent, never emerald green. Nobody deserved black; it gave no light in the darkness. She drew nearer and Severus saw the smile on her face and the reddened cheeks from the effort to walk uphill.

"Hi, Sev," she said it almost coyly as if they never met before.

Severus tried to maintain the intimidating cold posture for a moment longer, just checking the surroundings for any observers, students hid in the bushes on an early summer night. They were alone.

Severus embraced the dark-haired witch quickly, kissing her face, the flushed cheeks. He breathed her name and let all guards down. For a short moment Severus was just a man.

Leonor freed herself from the passionate clinch, beaming, "I missed you too. How come that I'm privileged to visit you at Hogwarts?"

Severus returned immediately to the usual serious appearance. He took the overnight bag and sent it away with an unspoken spell.

"Let's go. I explain." He put his hand on the small of her back, a subtle gesture of reassurance.

Students sat under the trees by the lake, learning, talking. The weather showed the best of June.

"I will tell the staff that I need your help to prepare the exam on Monday, an unknown curse for the N.E.W.T.s, something from abroad and real life so to speak."

"I could have prepared something."

"I know," grinned Severus. "The real reason is another. I want to be seen with you, just once. All who are open-minded will know that we are more than friends. They will know that you are important to me, also the Slytherins. If they trust me beyond Dumbledore's death, they will support you. All the others will show hostility, but it will ensure that the dark side is fonder to help."