III

1st September 1998

Leonor huddled against Severus chest. It was still early morning and dark outside. The bedside lamp was switched on and tinted the bedroom of the cottage into a cosy warm light.

"We have to get going," she sighed, trailing her lips against Severus' chest.

He said nothing, caressing Leonor's back gently. His heart throbbed against his chest.

"You are nervous." It was more like a statement than a question.

"I'm going to teach next to Longbottom." The mixed feelings surfaced plainly.

"You said he's been professional last week."

"I hated him because Voldemort chose to kill Lily instead of Longbottom's parents. It wasn't his fault or stupidity in potions."

"Tell him that one day, if you can."

Severus sniffed at the thought.

"Do you have any guess about the Sorting of our children?" replied Severus and changed the topic while trying to sound calm. He kissed Leonor on top of her head.

"We will know tonight," answered Leonor. "There's no point in musing about it. The hat will choose, and you told Eileen and Marcus that they have a say over it too. They will speak up, I'm sure."

"Was it right that we told them nearly everything about the war?"

Severus' voice shook slightly, knowing that everybody knew him, his deeds, being a prisoner for seven years because of murdering Albus Dumbledore and being a high-ranked member of a racist organization. He was known as a harsh and unfair teacher, a reputation Severus hated meanwhile, though going soft wasn't an option either. He had no idea how to solve the conflict. Severus spent the last week already at the school to be prepared but had not opened up to Minerva about it. After all, he was still the youngest teacher after Longbottom. It appeared that some things never changed.

"The best was to prepare Marcus and Eileen for nasty questions. Marcus is more than willing to be challenged and Eileen is used to give a good retort if somebody tries. They'll go their way, Severus. Harry told you that he was shocked to hear about the other side of his father from his greatest enemy — you; and that in a way leaving no doubt about a concocted lie. He had no choice other than believing the memory he saw. He was mortified by his father."

Severus sniffed, "We did not lie to them. I hope they know that I don't want them to be blamed for my wrongdoing."

"Come, or we miss the Hogwarts Express. I'll see you tonight in the apothecary, and then we are wiser."

XXX

Two hours later the family waited at the bus stop; the wardrobe trunks packed.

Marcus grizzled, "Why did we not apparate?"

"Because you always get sick, which is normal for children in your age, Marcus," explained Leonor. "Be happy that you've done it already, but today is not the day for another try."

"—and because our friends take the bus too," shot Eileen back.

"She's right. The Floo to London was also an option, but the Knight Bus was better, dropping us off at King's Cross."

Severus watched his family with a sly grin, he'd chosen again the dark attire as he was used in his earlier years of teaching. It felt formal enough and safe for the feast tonight. He was confident about the decision to return to Hogwarts and teaching his favourite subject whilst brewing a fair amount of the school's potions. His daughter and son watched him uneasily in the morning; the father in full wizarding robes rather an unusual sight to them.