Chapter 1

Rain sloshed against Millie Morgan's bedroom window, soaking the plants hanging on the outside of her windowsill. Here she sat perched atop her bed, curled up reading a book.

This would be the last time in 60 days she would be here.

She trudged down the wooden steps and into the waiting minivan, awaiting the moment her parents would tell her that this was all a joke and that she wasn't really going to spend the summer at her cousin Kaycee's house in Hearthe Falls, Ontario while they jetted off to Paris.

But by the time they got onto the highway, it was clear as a crystal that this was very real.

"Before you know it, we'll be here to pick you up, kiddo," said Sam, Millie's father.

"I can't believe you two are leaving me to go to Paris!"

"Only for Research. Besides it's a summit for scientific research, you wouldn't like it anyway."

Arriving at their destination
Sarah pulled out her daughter's suitcase from the trunk, wheels clashing against the pavement.

"And how would you know that?" Millie put her hand to her hip.

"We would know that," Sam went to stand by his wife, placing one arm around her waist, "because whenever we tell you about a new breakthrough or something interesting that happens at work you zone out."

"What you guys find interesting and what I find interesting are two different things."

"There isn't any point in arguing it's already been decided. You're staying here. Kaycee is already expecting you and we very well can't change the plans last minute," Sarah kept her face even.

This was the routine.

Sarah and Sam would enforce something. Millie would disagree.

"Sure you can," Millie muttered, playing with a pebble near the bottom of her shoe.

"What was that?"

"Can't I just go with you?"

"Millicent."

"I hate it when you call me that. Why'd you give me such an old name?"

"We've been over this. I wanted to name you after me but your father  disagreed. He thought I was being too egotistical. Why wouldn't you want to name your one and only after perfection?"

"We settled on the name of another famous scientist instead," Sam chimed in.

"Luckily she happens to be my best friend," Sarah replied. "Millicent Ackerman."

"Hey!" Sam called out.

"You knew who I was when you married me, Sam. Deal with it."

Sam grumbled under his breath.

"Anyway Millie. You best be on your way," Sarah planted a kiss on her daughter's cheek and tenderly squished her close. "You'll call us everyday."

It wasn't a question more like a statement.

"Yes, I've told you that already. Now if you'll excuse me I don't want to miss my first brush with misery. Oh wait. That's already happened because I'm here."

"This will be good for you. There's nothing better than fresh air and who knows? You might just make a friend."

"I have more than enough friends."

"Netflix and Book Characters don't count," Sam fake coughed into a closed fist.

"That was low Dad."

"I only deal in facts Millicent as I'm sure you're aware."

A longing beat passed before another word was spoken.

"Guess this is goodbye," Millie turned away from her parents, the first tear slipping down her cheek. Without a second glance, she headed towards Sweets by Kaycee.