Chapter 16

"Friendship is overrated," Millie groaned, sliding out of the booth a few minutes later.

Just as she did so, something pink clattered to the ground, causing her to halt her movements.

"Lyla's phone," Millie picked up the glittery phone case, and proceeded to walk over to where Leo was currently wiping down tables.

"I know you're upset with me but Lyla dropped her phone. Do you know where she lives? I need to take it to her."

"Downberry Lane. Do you remember how to get there?" Leo asked.

"A little."

As a native of Hearthe Falls, it stung Millie to forget how to navigate the town she'd called home for many years.

It was brief but Leo caught when Millie glanced at the hardwood. The girl he knew never looked down.

"Here's what you do," Leo said.
"Go past Jo's convenience store, turn the corner, walk over the bridge, and I know this is gonna be hard for you but walk past the giant, shiny mall filled with clothes-"

"Shut up," Millie joined Leo in laughter.

"Cross the street on Downberry Avenue, walk two minutes to Downberry Lane, Lyla's house should be on your left. It's blue. Can't miss it."

"When did they build a mall?"

"Started a year after you left."

"Oh."

"You'd better get going. Knowing Lyla she might be freaking out about her phone."

"Right. Thanks Leo."

"Text me if you get lost."

"Don't have your number."

"I can change that if you'll let me."

Millie pulled her phone out of the pocket of her shorts and handed it to the boy with the prominent dimple.
"Only for emergencies."

"Just for you, you can text and call me anytime."

"You sound like a phone commercial," Millie said.

"Just use my number, okay?" Leo smiled.

"We'll see what happens."

Lifting her kickstand, she climbed on her bike and peddled towards the opposite side of town.

Once reaching her destination, Millie's fingers gathered at her hips.

Joy as well as adrenaline coursed through her upon surpassing her personal best.

"Blue. Just like he said."

The house was quaint, similar to something out of the home magazines Millie would often find her mother reading.

In the yard, a large maple tree held a softly swaying tire swing. Flowers peeked out around the edges of freshly trimmed grass along the red fence.