Prologue

Kaycee Steevans wiped the sweat from her brow for the third time since the morning sun hiked itself into the blue sky. Stray strands of kinky hair clung to her forehead, the rest pulled into a puff.

Her jittering brown hands ran down the length of her pink apron, finding some comfort in the brand new stitching.

Carnival games, rides and loud circus type music surrounded her. She narrowly avoided colliding with four kids holding cotton candy who ran past.

A calm exhale broke free from her lips when her eyes landed on a set of muscular arms carrying a crate of baking knicknacks towards her.

"You know Kace it might do some good for your nerves not to stand there and self sabotage yourself," Clarkson 'Clarke' Kerring unpacked the items onto the gingham clad table and chairs behind her.

Kaycee gave a short wolf whistle to her boyfriend of two years when he bent down to retrieve a fallen baking spoon.

A blush tinged Clarke's cheeks and he pushed his glasses up his nose.

"You gotta stop that."

"The smile on your face says otherwise Clarke," Kaycee winked.

"You are such trouble you know that?"

"That's not what you were saying yesterday."

"I know I was saying-- never mind."

Clarke placed a kiss on Kaycee's cheek wrapping his arms around her. "You're ready babe. Just remember to breathe. You got this contest in the bag."

"Where would I be without you?" She grinned, returning the gesture.

"Under the thumb of your overprotective parents, probably being smothered in bubble wrap, trying to pick the lock they placed on your bedroom door."

"That only happened once."

"Excuse me?" Clarke frowned.

He had originally said it as a joke but his grin rapidly subsided when Kaycee answered.

"The bubble wrap thing I mean. The lock thing happened three times. I suppose that doesn't make it any better..." She trailed off noticing Clarke's expression.

"They did what? We are so continuing this conversation when we get home," Clarke shook his head then added, "It's good I met you when I did then."

"You met me?"

"Uh huh."

"I seem to recall that differently. I was the one who spotted you in the school's library, thought you were like really nerdy. For goodness sakes your shoelaces had Aquaman's logo on it-"

"Hey!" Clarke protested.

"It's true. Do you deny it?"

"No."

"That's what I thought. I knew in that moment you were misguided. Green Lantern is far superior."

"And that's when you fell for me?"

"No."

"Oh."

"That moment came a week later when I saw you twerking on the bar. It was a thing of beauty," she initiated a chef's kiss.

Clarke brought his hands to his face, groaning loudly. "Ugh, It was a lapse in judgment. Don't remind me. I was so drunk."

"I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that."

"Thanks?"

Microphone feedback shrieked from the stage which faced the rambunctious hoard of people. Smiles plastered all over their faces, they flocked to Mayor Tallswatter who tapped the mic impatiently.