Chapter 5

One Week Later

~

"How's it going?"

Kaycee slid a plate of banana cream pie down the counter in Millie's direction.

Busying herself was all Kaycee could do these days what with the talk of murder flowing out of nosy townsfolks' mouths. From the moment she opened her eyes, traded in her slippers for sneakers, descended the staircase that separated business from pleasure, all traces of happiness melted away.

Switching the closed sign to open didn't fair any better. People rushed past Sweets by Kaycee not stopping to smell the buttercream frosting.

Parents walking down the street pulled their kids in tighter, and found companionship with counting the cracks in the sidewalk. Others slipped into the neighbouring hardware store or the boutique, tearing their eyes away when they spotted Kaycee.

The caution tape had been removed from the surrounding area. The police opted for a second location on their search for clues but the damage had already been done.

News of Amelia's cause of death spread through the town, loitering on every street corner, in the mouths of gum chewing housewives under salon dryers finally reaching Kaycee's ears.

The coroner ruled death by poisoning.

"It's going all right. Going right in the trash," Millie put a hand under her jaw. Newspapers dated a week ago were messily crowded around her, an open notebook had jots and other scrawlings.

"I know the feeling," said Kaycee, pulling up a chair.

Millie's feet dangled from the barstool. She'd gotten quite good at swinging her converse wearing feet to the tempo of the ticking clock on the wall.

She'd also gotten use to the quietness  the space offered. Millie didn't mind it, it made the bakery more like a safe haven.

The walls were tinted in a colour Millie could only describe as blush pink. In front of the large window stood three white bistro tables with two chairs underneath each. Built in shelves off to the right provided storage and a place to rest the chalkboard Kaycee had written the day's specials on (several days ago).

As Millie had come to observe, the cupcakes, cinnamon rolls and other treats which usually frequented the display case made less and less appearances.

"I'm getting nowhere Kaycee."

"Maybe you just need a break," Kaycee swung an arm from around her back to reveal two forks. "Luckily I know just the thing."

"Pie can't fix everything, you know," said Millie as Kaycee dug into the dessert.

"I disagree. In fact, try some."
Kaycee wiggled the fork sideways until Millie gave in.

"This is good," said Millie already reaching for a second bite.

"Thanks. It's a new recipe. See, it wasn't selling all that well and instead of shelving it I decided to keep at it."

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Manage to be so upbeat in the face of all this? Think about it. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be able to stay calm. How do you do it?"

"I'd be lying if I said it was all rainbows and unicorns. It's not. I'm feeling more lost than I ever have. The only highlights are you, Clarke and the fact that this gives me more time to experiment with different menu items."

"You're the epitome of looking on the bright side. Hopefully some of that will rub off on me."

"I have no doubt."

"Speaking of doubt," Millie placed her hand over Kaycee's, "please don't take this the wrong way but-"

"But...?"

"Can you tell me where you were the day the crime occurred, what you were doing, anything? No detail is too small."

"Okay. The day started pretty crazy. Clarke and I were running around trying to get everything perfect for the baking competition."

"Uh huh," Millie scribbled something into the notebook.

"We had made the pie the night before. It was unusual in that sense. Usually when I compete it's usually 'contest-of' not premade. I didn't argue with it, I figured Hearthe Falls did things differently. Anyway, we headed to the grounds. I was a bundle of nerves. I was so afraid I would drop the pie, it was our only one mind you. I made Clarke get it from the truck and put it with the rest of the pies. Next thing I knew I won. Amelia ate it and I'm sure you can figure out the rest."

"Hmm. Clarke had helped you bake the pie?" Millie tapped her pen on the table a few times.

"Yeah. It was his recipe."

"Interesting."

"Blueberry pie," began Kaycee. "I hate blueberries. Hate them. Clarke said I needed to step out of my comfort zone and if I could turn something that I hated into something good, then I'd have a winner. And I did win."

"How would you describe his relationship to Amelia?"

"I would say he felt the same as me towards her."

"And how do you feel towards her? Or better yet, how had you felt towards her?"

"Honestly I didn't like her. I don't hate her if that's what you mean."

"Never said you did. Go on."

"She was our main competition. She operated the bakery down the street Cupcakes and things."

"And you disliked her because of this?" Millie watched Kaycee fiddle with an earring.

"I wouldn't say just because of that. She was snobbish, a bit rude. Always had something negative to say."

"M'kay," Millie finished writing, closing her notebook and hopped off the stool. "Do you know where I can find Clarke?"

"He said he was going for a run. Why?"

"I have questions."

"You don't think..."

"Everything's preliminary at this point Kaycee."

"Oh," Kaycee brushed her hair from her forehead. "Let me know if you need anything else."

"Actually, there is this one thing."