Chapter 3

Millie's head hung carelessly off the back of a black plastic chair, the top pressing harshly into the base of her neck. She stared at the same sight that Clarke had left her in front of when he dashed around the corner for his beloved.

A green moss colour clung to walls dimly lit by flickering fluorescent tubes. Four bulletin boards on each side of the room above several desks were stifled with reports, missing item inquiries and miscellaneous papers.

Telephones erupted throughout the space only doused by a "hello", the slamming of a receiver, and the impending sigh from an exhausted officer.

A balding man with a pen tucked between the opening of his lips, feet crossed over and hoisted on top of his desk yelled over the noise.

"Daniels!"

A woman with frizzy blonde hair tied into a small ponytail, bangs loose emerged from the ladies room, engulfing Millie in an unmistakable stench of cigarettes.

"What Carter?"

"Where are you with the Steevans case?"

Folding her arms still clutching a burning cigarette, the woman Millie assumed was Daniels peeled herself off the wall (much to Millie's approval) stalked over to the man and blew a cloud of smoke in his face.

A pulsing vein sprouted from the roof of the man's neck, trailing into the recesses of his collar. He leaned forward palms on the desk. A shaking finger uncurled itself stopping inches from the woman's chest.

"Watch it Edie. I'm only asking because these damn phones won't stop ringing! Progress now!"

It was times like these Carter Sampson wished he didn't have a soft spot for his sister in law.

"Honestly. It seems like it's an open and shut case to me. From what I've heard around town there's a spoken rivalry between Steevans and Copper."

Ears perked at the mention of her cousin's name, Millie's eyes caught the water cooler steps away from where the two conversed.

Water trickled inside the cup she held tightly. Her grip only intensified upon catching the woman's every word.

"Just between you and me Carter," Edie peered around checking if the coast was all clear, "I think that Kaycee girl did it."