Chapter 17

"Hey Kaycee. You don't look so great."

Millie wandered into the living room illuminated by sunlight streaking through the windows. Though it was almost 4 pm, she was still dressed in her pajamas from the previous night.

"I'm not," Kacey tossed her phone onto the sofa, before rubbing her eyes. They were red by the time she removed her fingers from her face.

"My suppliers for Sweets keep pulling out left and right. I've lost my suppliers for cocoa, premium chocolate, and discount baking equipment. And to make matters worse everything in the store seems intent on breaking down. Do you know how much it costs for a new industrial mixer?"

"No," Millie wrung her hands together. "But-"

"I can't keep the doors open much longer. The police still haven't given me an update in the investigation. No one's buying anything," Kaycee said. "I can't seem to change their minds."

"Not everyone thinks that," Millie said. "I don't, Clarke doesn't, Leo doesn't. What about Fletcher? Didn't he buy something the other day?"

"$20 worth of doughnuts barely helps when rent is in the thousands. My mom was right," Kaycee wiped her nose on her sleeve. "She said I was making a mistake moving across the province to open my dream bakery but I didn't listen. Now I'm going to have to go back home and hear her say I told you so."

"No."

"What?"

"No," Millie sprang to her feet. "The only thing that you're going to go back home and hear is her congratulating you on winning the 100th annual Hearthe Falls baking competition."

"I appreciate your optimism but that doesn't pay the bills."

"You're starting to sound like me. It's almost a complete role reversal. Anyway," Millie flashed a hand dismissively. "When this thing blows over, you'll see."

"I hope so."

"Where's Clarke?"

"Office/bedroom," Kaycee pointed. "It's not much. We managed to put a desk in there plus a small lamp. He's been crazy busy lately. I can barely get him off the phone for a second. "

"You know what you need? A stay-caytion. Yeah, just a day to unwind and forget about everything including Clarke. We can stay home, watch cheesy movies and whatever else you like to do."

"You'll join me?"

"Of course. But I just gotta take care of some things. I promise I'll join you. Now, to find Clarke."

___

Millie moved from the doorway and pulled up a chair closer to where Clarke sat in the makeshift office.

"Hey Millie. What's up?"
Clarke brought his feet down from his desk, before shoving the cellphone in his hand into his jeans.

"Clarke I need to ask you about something."

"Just let me finish typing this up and I'll be right with you," he clacked away on his computer.

"This can't wait. It's serious. I need to know that you wouldn't do anything to hurt Kaycee."

"Wouldn't even dream of doing that. She's the love of my life. She makes me happier than I've ever been."

"So you say."

"You don't believe me?"

"Do you remember when we all celebrated Christmas last year at my parent's house and you and Kaycee exchanged gifts?"