Chapter 14

Millie surveyed her red, sticky fingers and the mess surrounding the kitchen table back in Kaycee and Clarke's apartment.

Strawberry juice coated the cutting board. Short, tall and medium sized mason jars overflowed with thick strawberry jam.

She swiped a finger off the side of one, capturing a glob of jam before placing it in her mouth.

"Way too sweet."

Measuring thrice and meticulously reciting the recipe from memory was an exceptionally easy feat-- usually.

But usually wasn't now. Now belonged to a cloudy eyed boy who stormed out the bakery two hours ago.

'He can't be right. I wasn't that bad.'

She grabbed a loaf of day old bread from the pantry, slicing two pieces before spreading a hefty portion of jam on both sides.

'But maybe...'

She bit down, regretting the extra 1/2 cup of sugar she accidentally dashed in when she had reached for a lemon.

Crumbs coated the table and she brushed them into the nearby dustbin before securing each lid.

The jars clinked one after the other as they were placed in the fridge.

"There, that's done," Millie beamed.

"What's done?" A groggy voice behind her said.

Millie turned, palm flattened against her chest. "Geez, you scared me."

"Sorry," Clarke stretched, still dressed in his pajamas. He wiped his eyes before putting his glasses back on his face.

"What are you doing here?"

Clarke furrowed his brows.

"Right. Stupid question," Millie kicked the fridge door closed. "You live here. I meant what are you still doing in your pajamas? It's almost 2 in the afternoon."

"I stayed up late last night. I couldn't sleep. Is it that noticeable?"

"Kinda," Millie took interest in a chipped nail, then returned to Clarke. "Why couldn't you sleep?"

"I got a lot on my mind. These past few days have not been good to me."

Millie sighed. "These days haven't been good to anyone especially Kaycee. What's your excuse?"

"Whoa whoa. What's with the third degree?"

"Sorry. I just don't want her to be treated wrongly and it seems the people around her are doing just that."

"You mean the townspeople? They can be relentless but don't let it stop you," he walked over to the Keurig, pressing the on button, leaving his mug underneath the dispenser. "Chin up. You've got this."

"So do you." Millie paused before continuing. "Lack of sleep doesn't suit you. If this is because of the Amelia thing--

Clarke's features coloured themselves startled before masking into a grin, which alarmed Millie more than ever.

"You got me. How'd you know?"

"Had a hunch," Millie replied.

A golden hunch.

"Listen, I've got a lot of things to do today so I probably won't be around as much," Clarke sipped his coffee.

"Anything I can help with?"

"No, no. Just got some stuff to take care of. You shouldn't worry yourself with anything I'm doing."

"You seem jumpy, Clarke."

Stolen Pies and Pretty Liesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें