Prologue: Daddy

November 30th, 2007

The wind howled like an angry wolf as early snow fell to the frozen earth in large quantities. Niklaus Mikaelson was roaming about the city of Chicago, searching for his next meal in the crowded slush-covered streets.

His stormy blue eyes caught sight of a woman rushing out of an ally as the distinct smell of blood met his nose.

Curiosity and the thirst for the substance fueled his decision to investigate the ally.

He smirked at the familiar feeling of his veins tingling around his eyes and his fangs protruding passed his lips as he ventured into the ally.

It was a small, dark space crowded with trashcans and dumpsters. His eyes narrowed and nose twitched as he sniffed out the source of the blood.

The metallic smell grew stronger as he looked about, snow crunching under his heavy boots with every step he took. His brows furrowed at the little droplets of blood dotting the fresh white blanket.

His confusion washed away into anger as he finally found the source of the blood. Bound in a bundle of crimson-stained blankets was a tiny infant.

A newborn judging by the blood that caked their skin.

Small tufts of brown hair stuck to the baby's head, eyes closed peacefully as if everything was right in the world. Soft breaths made their chest rise and fall in perfect rhythm as they slept.

Klaus' teeth ground against each other as his jaw locked. An involuntary growl rumbling past his lips. This woke the infant up.

Their big eyes fluttered open, revealing large royal blue hues that instantly met stormy blue-green orbs. Klaus felt his anger fade away as the baby cooed, small chubby arms raising with tiny fingers curling as if asking to be picked up.

A soft breath escaped his lips as he carefully lifted the fragile creature from the trash heap they'd been tossed into.

"Hello, little one. What are you doing out here alone?" he spoke softly, shrugging off his jacket. It's not like he needed it.

The infant shivered as a cold breeze attacked them. Goosebumps formed on their pale, reddening skin. Klaus frowned, taking the dirty blankets off them and replacing them with his thick, leather jacket that still radiated some of his warmth.

"Worry not, sweetheart." he murmured, holding the baby to his chest and pressed a kiss to her head.

"Daddy's here, and I won't let anyone hurt you again."