"Bad Dada!"

Charlotte was fast asleep in Klaus' arms, sucking her thumb while clinging onto her father. Caroline awed at the sight, giggling as the toddler nuzzled Klaus' neck.

After breakfast, the couple ended up taking the child to the park, and she'd tuckered herself out chasing butterflies and climbing trees. If Klaus and Caroline weren't vampires they probably would've been just as exhausted having to chase the rambunctious child about.

"What are we going to do about Esther?" Caroline spoke softly, turning her gaze to the cracked concrete sidewalk.

The hybrid sighed softly, pressing a chaste kiss to her temple, "We'll figure it out, my love. I promise."

Caroline sighed softly and nodded, her blue eyes settling on the toddler's content expression. "We'll protect you, sweetheart." she hummed, a soft smile adorning her face as she reached up to caress Charlotte's chubby cheeks.

Klaus smiled, "Always and forever."

___

Icy cold water tickled Charlotte's tiny feet, making the tiny child shiver as she wiggled her toes in the wet sand. She looked around in wonder, looking up from the bright blue sky to the colorful little meadow just a ways away.

Charlotte beamed and ran to the meadow, abandoning the unwelcoming beach.

The child giggled as grass brushed against her bare feet and legs, warmth enveloping her little figure like a parent's embrace.

She loved the feeling, it made her feel safe like nothing bad could happen.

"You must be Charlotte." a young voice chimed, gaining the toddler's attention. She turned around and instantly met eyes with a young boy with dark brown eyes and long curly hair.

A bright smile adorned her chubby face, "I Chawwotte!" she chirped, "Who awe ou?"

The boy smiled, finding the child adorable, "I'm Henrik."

Charlotte gasped, "Unca Henwik!" she beamed, bouncing on her feet excitedly, "Dada tewws me stowies about ou!"

Henrik couldn't help but laugh at the little girl's behavior. "Can we talk?" he asks, holding a hand out to the child, "I'd like to get to know my adorable little niece."

"Otay!" she giggled, grabbing Henrik's hand with her much smaller one. His smile widened, feeling alive for the first time in a thousand years. "How old are you, little one?" he mused, Charlotte looked at her other hand, counting aloud, "One... two.. twee... I twee!" she beams up at the boy, who chuckled softly at the child, "Good job, Charlotte."

The two settled down by a large willow tree, talking about anything and everything they pleased. Henrik held the three-year-old on his chest, feeling just as tired as the little girl did.

"Nigh-Nigh, Unca Hen."

"Goodnight, little one."

___

"Rise and shine, little one." a soft voice mused as Charlotte was gently shaken awake. She hummed, her big blue eyes fluttering open and instantly making contact with dark brown hues.

"G'mowning, unca Hen-Hen."

He chuckled, "Good morning, Lottie. Shall we surprise everyone with breakfast?"

Charlotte instantly perked up and giggled, clapping her tiny hands excitedly, "Ya!" Henrik chuckled softly, shushing the toddler as he picked her up off the bed.