Beginning

Part One, Eleventh Grade

  "Marinette! You need to get up or you'll be late for school!" My eyes shoot open. "Mom! Why didn't you wake me sooner!"

  I hurry to my closet, reach in, and grab my outfit. Once I'm dressed, I pull my hair back into a ponytail. "Hurry!" I grab my phone, house keys, and bag. Then I run down the stairs to the bakery.

  "Here you go, they are rolls for your class. Don't forget to come straight home after school." I nod. "Yes ma'am. I've got to go or I'll be late."

  I hug both my parents and run out the door, box in hand. As I walk across the street, I see an old man. He seems to be having trouble. The lights about to change. Without thinking too much about it, I grab him and pull him out of the way.

  He smiles at me. "I'm so sorry young lady." I smile. "No no, it's fine, I promise." He nods. I open the box and give him a roll. He takes it. "Thank you." I nod. "I'm sorry, but I have to go or I'll be late." I hurry off towards the school.

  I'm Marinette Dupain-Cheng. My dad is French and my mom is Chinese. I've got blue hair and light blue eyes, and I'm just an average girl. Usually I pull my hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of my face. I'm an eleventh grader and go to a really nice dance school that teaches ballet.

  Today is the first day of school. Every year you are in the same class, same teacher. I have Miss Bustier. She's really nice.

  I reach the room right on time. "Marinette, it's good to see you again. Have a seat please." I nod. She turns back to talk with one of the other students. I sit down in my usual seat, second row on the right. The day begins in a classroom with benches, then we move into the dance room.

  "Nino, why don't you come sit in the front this year?" He sighs. Nino is an old friend of mine, we've known each other since I started going here two years ago. He moves to the seat in front of me. I smile at him.

  "Oh, Marinette Dupain-Cheng." I sigh. Chloe. She's been in the same class as me for several years now. She's rude and thinks she's better than everybody else. "Hello Chloe."

  She sniffs. "You are in my seat." I frown. "What do you mean? I've sat here for the past two years." She rolls her eyes.

  "Like I care. My friend is coming today and he'll be sitting right here next to Nino. Which means I'll be sitting right behind him." Nino turns to us. "Chloe, leave Marinette alone. That's her seat and you can sit in front over there. That way you are practically next to him." She huffs and stomps over to the seat. I smile at him.

  "Thanks Nino." He nods. "No problem Marinette." Miss Bustier looks at me. "Marinette, did you want to pass out the rolls now?" I smile and stand. "Yes ma'am." Every year papa sends rolls with me on the first day. He also sends lunch.

  I walk around the room and pass them out. When I've handed them out to all my classmates, there are five left. One for me, and one for Miss Bustier. I walk to the front to hand her one when the door opens. Mr Damocles walks in with two students. He's the principal.

  "Miss Bustier, these are our new students, Alya Cesaire and Adrien Agreste. Alya and her family just moved here. Her mother is a chef and her father works in the zoo. Adrien is the son of designer Gabriel Agreste, he also models his fathers works." Miss Bustier smiles.