∆ V U L N E R A B L E ∆

No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear

- C. S. Lewis -

Zoya immediately grabbed hold of the Doctor's table in front of her, closing her eyes firmly as Dr. Dev's brutal words rang inside her head as if an echo, a strong scary vibration. She could see her entire life fading away, taking her soul along. She wanted to scream aloud, cry harder than ever at her fate but she showed no response with the shock she just received. Zoya slowly took her seat, taking her handbag from where it fell on to the floor and placed it on her lap, with shaking fingers. 

She kept staring nowhere as the doctor looked concernedly while the man seated next to her showed no normal behaviour at the same time either. Aditya clenched his fists tightly as the words his him hard, as if he got slapped thousand times at once and let out a deep breath. He sobbed and glanced up at the doctor.

"What's.. what's happening Dr. Dev? I.. I just don't understand this theory which you'll have made up about my Pooja! Why was my wife traveling with another man, on his car? She was supposed to return home by night! and.. and you're telling me that I must accept the fact that my wife has gone in to a coma now? The woman who has harmed nobody in her life? Not even a small mosquito? How is this possible? Dr. Dev, mind if I tell you that Pooja has always been kind hearted and helpful to everyone, always. How come she is going through this mess?"

Aditya questioned in baritone, perturbed about the situation his wife had to undergo. The doctor slowly nodded.

"Yes Mr. Hooda. Unfortunately this is the truth of the moment. Our hospital staff, the doctors and nurses tried their best to save your wife and Mrs. Arora's husband but luck was perhaps not in their favour and they are comatose now. I am very sorry.."

Zoya's face was dampened with tears as she smoothly wiped away the remnants from her eyes using her fists and paid attention to what Dr. Dev had to say.

"Mr. Hooda and Mrs. Arora, please try to get a grip. Let me tell you something important. The Police had arrived at the location where the accident took place soon after they were informed by someone in the neighborhood. They had inquired about the accident and taken down notes about the occurrences from few eye witnesses, who were unfortunately unable to provide any important facts as they were the one's who had seen the two unconscious, after the accident took place. As both of you will anyway be here by morning, the in-charge officers might want to take each of your statements regarding what they would want to know. They will be here at the hospital within few hours according to my knowledge. I think it would be good if you cooperate with them and also the belongings of your spouses, which were found inside the damaged vehicle will be handed over later by the Police.."