∆ E N I G M A ∆

"Mrs

"Mrs. Arora, I'm sorry.."

Hearing Aditya's sincere apology made Zoya turn her face in utter shock to stare at the man who was sitting at a close proximity. It was the first time she was noticing him up-close. He seemed to be a very handsome man with attractive features but his face now covered with an unkempt beard, that had started growing and disheveled hair. He had light brown eyes, the colour of the soil after torrential rain.

Zoya squirmed in her chair nervously as Aditya's eyes darted back and forth across her face in surprise at her glares, now shining due to the sunlight reflecting through the windows of the Police Station.

"Mrs. Arora, I didn't have any intention to lash at you the way I behaved in the morning. It was inappropriate of me. I'm not inhumane and rude with anyone. It's.. it was my wife's state that had broken me and in the frustration that had built up within me, I blurted things which I shouldn't have said and I'm extremely sorry again.."

Aditya admitted patiently. Zoya observed his face for a while and nodded after a few seconds passed by as she could comprehend Aditya's situation since she was going through an equal storm in her heart.

"I.. I am sorry too Mr. Hooda. I understand the pain and as I was there to meet the doctor to talk about Yash, I found it strange to see someone else in the room. I had no idea that my husband was in his car with your wife, when the accident took place. Once again my apologies.."

"No, why do.."

Aditya was stopped mid sentence as Mr. Patel walked towards his desk in a rush at the same time to get back to work, mumbling a small 'hello' and plopped on to his chair and gave the spouses of the accident victims a smile of sympathy.

Aditya adjusted in his chair comfortably while Zoya placed the handkerchief which she was holding and rotating with her fingers all this time nervously, inside her handbag. They paid attention towards the Sub-inspector.

"Mr. Hooda and Mrs. Arora, what you both need to know is that I'm also in-charge of your spouses' case. Mr. Khanna will be out of town for sometime. He might show up in two or three days and Mr. Hooda? He has something to tell you personally. Hope your family informed you about it?"

Aditya placed his hands on the table while staring at Mr. Patel and shook his head.

"My mother told me and I suppose I'll have to wait till Mr. Khanna returns?"

"Yes, that's correct. He'll talk to you later about it Mr Hooda. Everything that I'm going to inquire from the both of you today about your husband and wife is to find clues to help our case, if there is one out of suspense and I hope I'll have your cooperation.."

The inspector took a pile of files under his desk from which he choose a File with a Black hard cover and placed the rest in their place. He opened it and motioned Aditya and Zoya to come closer. As he turned the file around for them to take a clear view, they could see that it had some photographs clicked at the accident spot, last night since the vision was dark and blurry.