|23|

Torint

     I squeeze Posy's tiny little hand in mine, excitement pulsing through my veins. Crashing leaves and snapping twigs, I tumble my way through the woods. I can hardly contain myself as we rush. My mate can't keep up with me, I have to scold myself to go slow down enough to where I am not dragging her behind me.

     She still has no idea what's going on. But I do. The forest is usually silent, the noise from earlier can only mean one thing, and I cannot wait to find the source of the interruption.

     By the time we make it to my ship, my little human is panting. We stop as I look around, sniffing the air silently in determination. I need to find them.

     "Torint, what is going on?" She wonders out loud behind me, trying to let go of my hand to wipe the sweat from her brow, but I don't let her. I cannot let her out of my sight, not until we're off of this dreadful planet.

     Is it normal for human men to be so cruel and disgusting? I will have to ask Posy once we can speak to each other clearly, among many other things.

     But that can all wait for later. We have more important things to worry about.

     Once I catch the scent of engine fuel I grin again. I've found them. We begin our quest again and Posy groans at me as she reluctantly follows.

     "You give an alien your virginity and he thinks he owns you." She grumbles under her breath. "Don't go too fast! I just caught my dang breath you monster."

     I chuckle at her insult, knowing she only jokes. I try to go slower, but it's hard since I am too antsy to get to our rescuers.

     When the scent gets stronger, so does the smell of my kind. I stop suddenly and look around through the fog filled trees in search of a ship, footprints, anything! When a blinking light comes into view I laugh in amazement, waving a hand in the air to let them know it's me.

     Immediately the ship comes into view, the camouflage disappearing from the surface to reveal the tall machine. I hear my mate gasp behind me, and I rub her hand with my thumb absently to calm her. The doors soon open and a rush of 4 figures come piling out of the ship with cheers.

     "You are alive! I knew it!"

      "Nothing can kill this one. He's too tough."

     I'm clapped on the back as I'm hugged by each of my team mates. I laugh at their comments and throw myself into the thrall of embraces. I cannot wait to tell them of the news of the female population, but before I can open my mouth I'm hugged again.

     Yatik grins and shakes his head after he pulls away, glancing around the woods in wonder.

     "What a strange planet. You run into any trouble?" He asks me, and the others look eagerly at me as well. All except Elik who remains in the back with a stern face as usual. He is not one to hug and joke.

     "Nothing I couldn't handle." I brag with a grin, and Tillip lets out a ridiculous chuckle before slapping a hand onto my shoulder. He shakes his head before turning his grinning face to our team.

     "You hear that? I guess he doesn't remember year 3 when he couldn't land a kick to save his life." He calls, and I roll my eyes as the group of males laugh their heads off like they've never heard a joke before.

     "Seriously. Why is it so wet? It is like the air is made out of water." Umner, the youngest of the bunch, asks. I nod, rubbing the sweat off the back of my neck. Despite the cooler temperatures, it is still muggy.