13. Lily

Max has been really cagey since the phone call, only telling me that Robbie had found out it was Imogen who gave Melissa my number, I knew there was something else on his mind but knew he wouldn't tell me till he was ready, I had seen him shake his head at Hunter, so I knew I wasn't the only one in the dark.
It was mid afternoon when the doorbell rang and Max wrapped his arms tighter around me as Hunter went to answer it. It was quite a while before he returned and he wasn't alone.
"Daddy?" I was surprised to see him come into the room.
"What are you doing here?" I asked looking from him to the twins in worry. "What's going on?"
I wriggled off Max's lap and went into dads hug, feeling some of the worry ease, replaced by a new fear, "is it mom, Logan?" I rush out and he shakes his head, pulling me into a tight hug "no, no, they are both fine, come on, let's sit down" he tells me and I sit down next to him, holding onto his hand.
"Okay Max, you can tell her" Dad looked at Max who dragged his hands through his hair before he looked at me.
"Angel, after I spoke to Robbie, I checked the cameras in your room, there were four videos..."
"Four!" I exclaimed.
"Yes, one was Nick putting a parcel on your desk, the other three, they were all Imogen" he tells me.
"What has she done?" I ask, a feeling of foreboding creeping up on me.
I see Max exchange a look with dad and Hunter before he sighs.
"The first video, she's gets scared off by a noise in the dorm, she doesn't take anything" I nod in understanding as he watches me.
"The second video, she goes through all of your drawers and reads your notebook and address book, she takes a picture of something but I don't know what" he explains.
"From where" I ask worriedly.
"Out of your address book" he tells me.
"And the third" I prompt knowing it must be something major, if Max has got dad here.
"When she came back she went straight for your jewellery box, Angel, she took the locket, the one we gave you" He tells me and I feel the fury burn through me.
"No, no, she's not having that" I jump up and pace before fixing dad with a look "What can we do?"
"Call the Police, we have very clear evidence, of what has happened" he says. "We could let the university handle it but I'm not sure how effective that would be"
I know this will get her thrown out of the university and possibly worse but she deserved it, she had breached my privacy and stolen something very personal to me.
I looked between Max and Hunter and my decision was made. "Call the Police first, then let the university know, I want my locket back" and they both nod, Hunter reaching for the phone.
"We also need to get hold of her phone and find out what she photographed, some of those numbers are family only ones, I don't understand why she would want them or what she would do with them" I say suddenly worried.
Max pulls me into his arms and holds me as I still fight the rage inside.  I feel some guilt that Imogen's family will suffer for her crimes but she has to be held to account.
"You're doing the right thing" Max murmurs in my hair and I relax a little at his support.

xx
The police responded quite quickly and I gave them my statement of what had happened that led to the camera being put in and Max sent them the video links, they left saying they would be in touch as soon as they had news.
I wasn't happy, I didn't want to wait, she had my locket and I wanted it back. The police had not told me I couldn't go back to the flat and I wanted to confront Imogen, I wanted to know why.
But I knew that dad and the twins would stop me, they were all busy in the study at the moment going over what was happening. I had excused myself to make coffee but now, I had an opportunity to get out before they realised and deal with Imogen. I know they'll be angry, but so am I and I can't wait and do nothing.
I pulled on my shoes and wrote a quick note, leaving it on the kitchen table before silently slipping out the door and rushing downstairs, my bag had been by the door so I had my wallet and keys, Hunter still had my phone but that was fine, I didn't need it to do this.
I was lucky there was a bus going in the right direction from the stop at the end of their road, I sagged into the seat and lost myself in thoughts of the day they gave me the locket, it was my sixteenth birthday and the twins had been late arrivals to the party, both arriving with beautiful dates on their arms who had looked down their noses at me. The twins had taken me to one side to apologise for being late and handed me the gift wrapped box, which I had carefully unwrapped, not knowing what to expect, the locket had made me gasp and drawn the attention of the families, who had smiled as Hunter had put the chain around my neck, allowing the locker to rest in the hollow of my throat.
It was only after the party that I found out the history of the locket, Aunt Teddy had told me about it and when I had tried to return it to them they had given me a lecture about being ungrateful and I had backed off, the locket became very special to me, and now Imogen had it. Again the fury took over, her taking the jumper was not acceptable however the locket was a whole other level.
I got off the bus in the road up to the dorms and was so focussed on getting to the dorm and confronting her before dad and the twins caught up to me, that I didn't see the girl watching me from a car parked facing the dorms. I checked before stepping into the road to cross, not noticing the sudden revving of an engine nearby, I was half way across before the car hit me, tossing me up into the air, the sound of a scream running through my head as the world went black.