𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 ☾ 𝑷𝒐𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕

𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑷𝒐𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕

𝑆𝑒𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 1991

The boom rolled across the town, announcing the start of what the brooding clouds had promised since dusk. The trees swayed, surrendering their fall leaves without a fight against the strengthening winds. Then came the first drops of rain, like bullets.

They were heavy and dropped down one by one, almost as if they were waiting for permission to free fall at once. Then, a streak of hot silver split the sky, and the downpour began.

A small but manageable car drove down Laurel Avenue amidst the storm. It had to have been nearing midnight on that cloudy Sunday, but that didn't discourage the couple that engaged in a heated conversation.

A red cheeked newborn baby wailed loudly in her car seat. She was tired and had no idea how to fix it, so out of frustration, she cried. Her little lungs carried her screams of anguish throughout the car for her arguing parents to hear, in hopes that she'd be craddled and loved.

But the married couple insisted on ignoring the cries, the point of their side of the argument proving to be more important.

"We can't just leave her here Jeffrey!" Lori, the baby's mother, cried. She gripped the dashboard tightly as the car screeched around the corner.

Jeffrey's knuckles were white, holding onto the steering wheel with an inhumane grip was something he occupied himself with to prevent his accident from occuring. "We can't take her with us Lor! You know he'll take her."

Lori whimpered, "She's just a baby! He can't hate us that much that he'd kill her too." The car sped down the streets of Mystic Falls, the booming thunder and streaking lightning following close behind.

"Believe me, he's that vengeful!" Jeffrey assured, angrily gripping at his semi-long brown locks. They were nearly twenty five years old, they hadn't done much in life except make old vampires angry and have a daughter.

Lori glanced back at the still crying baby, and reached over for her hand. The baby let out one ear piercing scream and waved her arms up and down in her fit. "She needs us, Jeff. I can protect her— we can protect her."

Jeffrey slammed his hand on the wheel, "Dammit Lori! We've already discussed this! We can't risk her life like this!" The baby continued to cry, though the pitter patter of the heavy rain that crashed against the roof of their car, she found some solace in the noise.

Lori watched her husband warily glance out the window, catching a quick glimpse of the full moon that peaked through the rain clouds. "Shit."

"Oh please, this isn't your first full moon. You'll live." She hissed, finally grabbing a hold of her daughter's hand.