Chapter 60 - Borrowed Time

In the skies above, Nelly and Bedlam were once again clashing, the alien having come around from its daze. The light around Nelly was burning incredibly bright – as if her body was drawing in all the power she had at her disposal. Her plan was to unleash it all in one go, using the full force of Arceus' might to eradicate Bedlam once and for all – causing her to die in the process.

As much as I hated the idea, I felt powerless, trapped in this safe haven that she had made for me. Nothing was getting through this golden barrier from either side, and I began to crumble even more knowing that the person I cherished more than anything was just moments away from disappearing from my life forever.

"Nelly..." I sobbed, still on my hands and knees. My mind was racing faster than it ever had, as I desperately tried to think of something – anything – to stop her. But my thoughts could never get past the image of her face, and her bright smile that warmed my heart. I couldn't focus at all – my whole world was collapsing around me, and I was powerless to stop it.

As I sat, hunched over and clutching her pendant tightly, a flash of light came from my pocket, and my Togekiss appeared, her eyes wide and teary.

"Tokiii...!" She whined, looking up into the sky. "Tooookiiii...!"

"Gh... S-Snowflake..." I saw her through my tears and felt my heart shatter further. Snowflake saw Nelly as her mother, and the Pokemon was clearly in distress. She knew something was very wrong.

"Kee..." She looked at me, scared and confused.

"I..." I shook my head and closed my eyes as warm tears seeped past my eyelids. "I couldn't stop her..." I croaked.

"Kiii... Toki...! Tokiiii! TOKIIIII!!!" Snowflake frantically bashed on the inner walls of the golden barrier, desperate to go to her mama. The sounds of her delicate voice cracking in sadness sent me spiralling deeper into agony, feeling utterly useless.

"Groh..."

"Bui..."

Grovyle and Buizel had also emerged from their PokeBalls, their heads turned to the sky. Their faces were solemn, and, though they weren't as openly emotional, there were tears welling up in their eyes too.

"She... She's gonna..." I spluttered, covering my face. "And I... I...!"

"Grohhh..." Grovyle put his hand on my shoulder.

"Gh..."

"Bui bui..." Buizel's feet came into view as he too stood over me.

"I don't want her to go..." I shook my head, my vision completely blurred. "I don't want her to die...! I can't... I can't live without her..."

All of a sudden, the light touch on my shoulder turned into a stern grip, as Grovyle's emotions took over.

"Grr..." He breathed, wiping his eyes.

"Bui! Zerraah!" Buizel's hand was outstretched towards me.

"Huh...?"

The two of them were clearly upset, but they didn't seem to have given up. If anything, they seemed to be burning with fighting spirit, as if they were going to fight this cruel twist of fate until the very end.

They pulled me to my feet as Snowflake was still banging on the walls, her precious heart aching.

"I don't know what to do..." I sniffed, squeezing Nelly's pendant.

"Groh!" Grovyle beat his chest, his eyes narrowed and focused.

"Bu-iii!" Buizel gritted his teeth and took up a battle stance.