Chapter 18 Maybe That's What Love Is

Totally unedited. But thanks so much for voting and commenting, guys. I love you all. I really do! Keep doing your thing. It really makes my day. I spent like 2 hours reading all you comments, today. From every single chapter XD Lovely cover/banner by leichter! Thanks so much!

Chapter 18: Maybe that's what love is

The whole room went dead silent after the scream. Lucas and I stood up, immediately. Even though we were all far away from the door, we could hear it turning. Someone was trying to get in.

I went over to the rest of animal- I mean human population.

"Jimmy-"

"I don't know, Sandy," he interjected before I could even finish my sentence.

"Damn," I mumbled.

Some of the kids were idiots. They started making their way towards the door.

"You idiots!" All of them turned to look at me. It was partially funny how they knew they were the ones being called "idiots." "Get back here!" I ordered pointing back to the corner they were huddled in before. The surprising thing was that they obliged very quickly.

"Where's Cate?" askd Jimmy looking around.

I had forgotten about her. It was her so called Sweet Sixteen. I did recommend a quincenara but no. Quincenara would have had loads of people than this forty people party. But no one listens to Cassandra Evans.

"Hey, C.C., can you tell all of these kids to just relax?" Lucas asked pointing to the crying girls in a corner. They were most likely in Cate's grade.

I turned to Lucas. He really wanted to test my patience. "First, don't call me C.C.," I told him and then turned to the girls crying, "All of you crybabies, shut up!"

Jimmy and Lucas stared at me with wide eyes. At least, all the crying stopped. Who cares if I called them "crybabies?" I mean that's what they were.

"Sandy, please be nicer," Jimmy said finally.

"That's the nicest I'm getting." I went over towards the corner. Most of the girls went away. Nobody wanted to talk to me or listen to me, I guess. As if I cared. My brother followed me as well.

Cate sat there all alone, sobbing. Crying people annoyed me a lot. I sat down on one side of her and Jimmy on the other.

"Cat, stop crying," I said.

She started crying worse. Jimmy gave me you-are-so-not helping look. I shrugged. I wasn't great at sympathizing.

My sister rested her head on Jimmy's shoulder and sobbed. "Cate, calm down," said Jimmy, gently patting her head.

"My birthday i- is r-ruined," she sobbed.

"You act like this is your last birthday," I said flatly. Then, I added, "Jimmy and I didn't even have sweet sixteens."

"You two didn't care," she snapped, picking her head back up.

I looked at her, offended. "Cate, Mom and Dad didn't show up for our birthdays! They never do! That's why we didn't care much!"

"Sandy is right for once," admitted my brother.

"Stop ganging up on me," she said and broke into tears.

"Cate, crying won't get you anywhere!" I said exasperated. "We are still stuck in here."

"Sandy, relax," Jimmy said holding up a hand. I rolled my eyes and sat back. "Cate, listen. You know how separated our family is. It's even worse that we don't get to see Mom and Dad that much. There isn't much for us to do. You're lucky to have Mom and Dad come here even if its for this once. Now, this lockdown wasn't expected but we can't do anything. Just stop your crying. Be happy that you are not alone. Sandy and I are here for you."