Chapter 40 Bangs! She Said Bangs!

Chapter 40: Bangs! She said bangs!

"Are you sure you don't want ice cream?" Lucas asked Julian.

Cheryl, Lucas, and I had gotten our orders. Julian, from the beginning, said he didn't want any.

"I don't like ice cream," shrugged Julian. He sat across from Lucas and I with Cheryl.

"He likes other things," Cheryl said with a sly smile. Julian looked at her and shook his head with a small smile. Was I missing something?

"I betcha." Lucas turned to Cheryl and asked, "By the way, do you live here or just visiting?"

"Actually, I was visiting, however, due to certain, personal circumstances," she didn't meet anyone's eyes, "I'll be staying here for a little bit."

"Now, Julian can have a British buddy," Lucas joked, "or should I say 'mate'?" I think Lucas was trying to be funny, but no one found his comment amusing.

Julian nodded. I kept on eating my ice cream, feeling really out of place. I didn't belong here.

"You're so quiet," Cheryl commented, turning her focus to me. "Alright there?"

"I'm fine," I said quickly.

"Sandy is socially awkward. Please bear with her," Lucas said patting my shoulder. I shrugged off his hand and gave him a look.

"Not very considerate, is he?" Cheryl asked.

"Never," I said giving her a sad look.

Lucas had an offended look and then a sly smile appeared. "Did the truth hurt, Evans? I'm sorry."

"Shut up. I don't take offense in being called 'socially awkward.' It's a compliment, in a way." All three of them gave me weird looks. I continued eating my chocolate chip, cookie dough ice cream. "Plus, it implied that I have standards for people I chose to interact with."

"Glad us three met the standards," Lucas said.

"Sure." That's what they thought. Lucas was on the border of meeting the standards. Cheryl wasn't. At all. Julian did meet the standards. After all, he was usually sane and considerate.

"I see," Cheryl nodded. "No offense, but I'm curious about something. Are you two in a relationship or something of the sort?" She was looking at Lucas and I. Julian was looking at his friend.

"No," I said.

"Not yet," corrected Lucas.

"You better keep trying," she said. "I was in your situation once, and unfortunately never received the opportunity of getting myself the--in my situation--bloke."

"Who?" I asked.

Cheryl poked Julian playfully who rolled his eyes. "This one never gave me a chance," she grinned. I didn't know whether she was serious or not. If she was telling the truth, then she had some guts. I had liked Lucas in the past, and I was way too proud to admit that.

"You and Julian?" Lucas asked just as surprised as me.

Cheryl nodded and proceeded to eat her strawberry ice cream. "He kept telling me to move on." That I could believe was something Julian would say.

"Please, Cherry," Julian said, leaning forward and looking at Cheryl. "You can't force someone to have feelings for you. Especially when you are seen as a friend. You were my closest friend." He was talking in the past tense. Did he not see her as a friend now? Cheryl pursed her lips and nodded. I was surprised that she shut up so quickly. Did she still like him or something?