❧ I I I ❧

Sophia sits on the edge of her bed, tears in her eyes, and phone in hand. She keeps replaying her voicemails over and over, and by now she can recite them word for word from memory. She likes hearing his voice; she can’t deny it. She’s always loved the sound of his voice. There’s something different about his voice in the messages. He sounds sad and broken, not happy and carefree like he usually does.

         Did she do that to him? A tear slowly rolls down her cheek, as she wonders if it really is better this way. It almost feels worse. But maybe if she just talks to him once, maybe if she just calls him back and tells him why she ended it it will be easier. Maybe if he stops calling, she’ll be able to forget about him. Maybe.

         She’s pulled back into the present when her phone starts ringing, and she looks down at the caller ID, and her entire body freezes.

Incoming call from… Luke Hemmings

         She can’t get herself to answer it, she can’t get her fingers to do the simple swiping and tapping motions required to answer the call. So she lets it go to voicemail, and sure enough, a few minutes later, her phone alerts her of a new voicemail.

         She immediately listens to it.

         “Hey Soph, it’s me again…I know I’m probably getting really annoying, and I’m sorry for that. It’s just…” There’s a pause and she can hear him take a deep breath, and she smiles thinking that he was probably running a hand through his hair as well, “I just need to know why you broke things off. What did I do wrong, Soph? Why won’t you call me back? It wasn’t something I said or did, was it? I swear, I’ll leave you alone if you’ll just tell me why. I know I don’t deserve you, Soph, I always have. You deserve so much better than me. I know I’m an asshole sometimes, and it sometimes seems like I don’t care about anything but my band, but I always thought I treated you like my princess. I guess I was wrong, wasn’t I, Soph? Please, call me back soon. Just tell me what I did wrong. And if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me. I’ll be waiting. Just remember, I still love you, and I will always love you, okay? Bye, Soph.”

         More tears start falling at his words.

         You never did anything wrong, Luke; you did everything right, she thinks.

         After fifteen minutes of pulling herself together and making sure her voice won’t reveal that she’s been crying, she picks up her phone and finally dials his number. It rings and rings, and she gets his voicemail. It’s probably better this way.

Hi, you’ve reached Luke! I can’t take your call right now, but leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. And if this is Sophia…I miss you.”

         I miss you too, she wants to say, I wish I hadn’t ruined everything between us.

         But that’s not what she says, because she can’t get herself to say what she wants to say.

❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧*❧