Chapter 55: Maybe

I lay still, unmoving, hoping he would think I was actually not awake.

My hopes were in vain.

"Saki," Ichiru repeated sternly. With a sigh, I opened my eyes and stared up at him, blinking slightly at the sudden change of light.

"Did you hear what I said earlier?" I hesitated briefly. If he knew that I heard what he said, then he would make me promise not to get involved. Again.

"No," I replied. "What did you say?" A shadow loomed over us as Ichiru reached the building of the Moon Dorm.

"It was nothing," he replied. "Do you think you can walk?"

I nodded and he set me down on my feet. It was a strange feeling to walk after you just fell about 8 metres from a tree, was about to die, then a kiss of blood saved you. In simple terms, my body hurt. Bad. I found myself clenching my teeth as I straightened up, despite knowing that I would be better by next morning. Kaname's blood was enough to heal me, though I hated to admit it.

"Ichiru! Saki!" Maria's voice greeted us as we came in. She was sitting on one of the couches in the living room. "What happened? You both left without any warning and then I smelt blood."

"Shouldn't you be in class?" Ichiru avoided the question. Maria smiled.

"Yuki only said, 'go to class'. She never said stay in it." This aristocrat was awfully sly for someone who had bad health for most of the year.

"Perhaps you should go back," Ichiru pulled Maria to her feet. "It might not be a good idea to get into trouble. Kaname is already as aware of you as it is. You shouldn't attract any more attention to yourself." Maria's only response was to bury her face into Ichiru's shirt, hugging him tightly.

Time to go back to my room. I didn't want to see any more of this. I began towards the staircase, every step of it agony. Walking like a tin soldier wasn't in my best interest, but I couldn't move without my whole body stiffening up. I reached the bottom of the staircase and hesitated. How was I going to get up the darn flight of stairs?

"I'll go back to class," Maria told Ichiru reluctantly, but a smile played on her lips. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Of course," Ichiru replied, patting Maria's head. "I'll be waiting for you." I turned away, trying to ignore every instinct in my body that screamed I had no chance with him.

"Bye!" I heard Maria skip out the front door and sighed inwardly. An awkward moment with Ichiru was something I desperately wanted to avoid.

"Can you manage the stairs?" Ichiru asked me, walking over. "You might be in a bit of pain." A bit of pain was an understatement. My whole body screamed to me to lie down or take some painkillers or something.

"I think so," I replied, hoping that Ichiru might just leave and I can tackle these stairs on my own.

"Well, I have to go back to the Sun Dorm," Ichiru said. "So if you think you can manage these stairs, I'll leave you to it." Yes, thank you Ichiru.

I waited until I heard the door of the front door close with a heavy click, meaning Ichiru had left. Once I was certain, I looked at the challenge that awaited me. Stairs. Never had I thought they would be a living nightmare.

I took hold of the banister, ignoring the yelping of my shoulder and arm muscles. That pain was the least I could hope for. One foot up. Pulling myself up again, I brought my other foot up onto the step. One step down, a bunch more to go.

5 steps later, I had to give up. I would take a quick break, just a short break. Lowering myself onto a step as gently as possible, I still winced as the movement jarred up my spine. Leaning against the stair rail, I closed my eyes, trying to numb the pain that throbbed through every single part of my body.

"Saki," the voice made me look up. Kaname stared back down at me in surprise.

"What happened to her?" Another voice asked. Takuma I think. His blonde head popped into view, his green eyes staring down at me in confusion and slight concern. "Can you walk, Saki?"

"I'm fine," I muttered, scrambling to pull myself up. "Did I fall asleep?"

"You sure did," Takuma replied cheerfully, but sobered slightly. "You look injured though." I shook my head stubbornly, ignoring the complains from my neck.
My whole body felt considerably better though, after that nap.

"I think I lost track of time," I hastily excused myself. "I'll be going to my room." I fled from the scene, forcing my already tired legs to move quickly.

Kaname never said anything, but Takuma's confusion virtually eminated from him. I'm pretty sure Kaname didn't know I was awake when he ki- fed me blood.

I sighed as I entered the room. My life was a mess. You look under one thing, find a surprise which pleases you. Look at it carefully and you realise that thing isn't yours, it's someone else's. Other people were lucky they weren't in my shoes. I don't even think I can look at Ichiru anymore. I'm such a fool.

Sitting down on my bed with a thump, I lay down, staring at the ceiling. I wasn't in the Day Class anymore, so I would be pretty bored during the day until- Wait, I was missing something.

Sitting back up, I frowned at my wardrobe. I felt that something was supposed to happen but I just wasn't sure. My eyes fell on a carrier bag on my desk. The dress.

The ball.

That was it. The ball was tonight. But I didn't want to go. What's the point of going when all you get is an awkward conversation? And I was still sore from last night's misadventure.

Maybe I shouldn't go to the ball.