Chapter 78: Homecoming

"I don't know when I'll be seeing you next," Mum embraced me ruefully. "But until then, please, be careful and take care of yourself."

We stood outside the house. It was early in the morning, and I had my packed luggage standing in a small pile by my feet. I was about to leave for the academy.

"I will," I promised, hugging her back. "But you have to do the same thing, okay?"

"I will," Mum assured me, releasing me. "I guess you should go now. Yagari looks impatient." She added in a low tone. I turned to look at the other hunter, who stood, leaning against the van impatiently.

"He can wait," I replied with a sniff. "He's always impatient anyway."

"He's a good person," was all Mum said, as she ruffled my hair. "Now make sure you enjoy yourself at the academy. Don't be afraid of the other vampires."

"I won't," I promised again picking up my bags and walking to the van, knowing full well that I was still afraid, and would probably always be afraid. "Stay happy okay?"

"Of course." Mum looked amused as she waved to me. Maybe she was waving to Yagari as well.

"You two spent a full 15 minutes with your goodbyes," Yagari sounded resigned as he backed out of the driveway. "I might as well have just gone in and had a cup of tea while you were at it."

"Of course," I replied absently, staring out the window. "Maybe you should."

"I was joking," Yagari shot back. "Of course I wouldn't have. Can't you tell a joke when you hear one?"

"Your voice doesn't really have many differences," I replied. "Even if you were singing I wouldn't be able to hear any changes."

Yagari shot me a mutinous glare, while I smiled back sweetly. Arguing with Yagari really improves my mood sometimes. Sometimes.

"Are you okay about the whole, Level D situation?" Yagari's change in topic surprised me. Since when did he try counselling?

"I guess," I shrugged, feeling my happy mood drift away. "There's not much I can do about it is there?"

"There is a way you can stop falling into a Level E." It was almost as though he read my mind and worries, about going mad.

"I know," I interrupted him. "If I drink Shizuka's blood, I won't become a Level E."

"Exactly."

That's not it, Yagari. That's just not it. Now that I had a chance to keep my humanity, knowing I wasn't a monster, I didn't want to lose it. I wouldn't lose it. I can't. I want to stay human. That night, when I was six, I didn't have a choice. Now I do. I won't become a vampire.

"You don't necessarily have to drink Shizuka's blood from her," Yagari continued. "There's another way?"

"How?" I replied confused. I wasn't interested in becoming a vampire, but I did want to know 'the other way'.

"Listen carefully," Yagari leaned over to whisper in my ear. What he said made my inwards twist.

"It's the only other way," he turned his gaze back to the road. "It seems easier as well."

"No," I replied bluntly. "I won't."

The rest of the trip was spent in silence, until we arrived at the academy. It read 9:35 on the van clock.

"Yagari," I broke the silence as I pulled one of my bags out of the back of the van. "Can I ask you a favour?"

"Like?" He sounded suspicious. I kind of didn't blame him.