Chapter 67: The Offer

"Saki Minagawa," the man at the head of the table spoke crisply. "You are under arrest for attacking and killing a human male, one week ago. Is there anything you want to say in denial?"

"No," I raised my chin defiantly. "I take full responsibility."

I was in a large room, with high, arching ceilings, and some windows, shining a bright light in. In front of me, the judge, I suppose I should call him, was sitting at a high table, a hammer ready in his hand. I, in turn, was standing behind a wooden railing, on a slightly elevated platform, the main focus in the room.

"If I may interfere," a rich and strange voice spoke up. "I would like to talk to Miss Minagawa privately. Please don't mind us."

"President," the judge looked startled, but recovered his composure smoothly. "Of course, but please don't take too long. The trial has been scheduled specifically for this time."

"Thank you very much," the (president?) replied graciously, while a finger tapped me on the shoulder. Turning around, I caught sight of the speaker. And almost fainted.

The president, was the scariest looking man ever. If he was a man. I was pretty sure he was, after all, Mum always referred to him as a 'he'. But still...a crossdresser?

"Don't be afraid," he purred to me, waving a fan gently in front of his face. "I have been wanting to talk to you for some time. Come." He beckoned me out of the trial room, gliding down the stairs daintily, his long skirts swishing. So basically, the person in front of me, who wore a long robe, had hair piled and coiled in an intricate feminine fashion, with powder and make-up lining his face, no, coating his face...was the Hunter assocation's president. What was the association coming to?

I followed the president a little way down the hallway, into another room, which looked like someone's office. As all typical offices go, a large, wooden desk sat in front of a dominating window, papers and various books stacked up on top of it. A bookshelf stood on my right, with musty-looking books lined up on it like toy soldiers, arranged and perfect.

"Saki isn't it?" The president stopped, turning to look at me. "Welcome to my office. I have someone here who wants to meet you, so I had to pull you out of the trial without any warning. My apologies." He didn't sound all too sincere, but seeing as he just got me out of that trial, I kind of owe him one. Maybe.

"You brought her?" Another voice rumbled. Looking up, I realised that someone sat at the desk, his form almost hidden by the large chair he sat on.

"Yes, Asato," the president replied, turning to present me to the person called Asato. "As you asked."

Asato it seemed, was a rough-shaven man, with piercing silver-blue eyes, and untidy blonde hair, accompanied by a matching beard. He looked like he was in his 30s or 40s, but looks can be deceiving. Obviously he was older than that. You can just tell by their eyes, how they look at you and what they seem to be thinking.

"I've been wanting to talk to you for some time," Asato commented, leaning back on his chair, his eyes studying me. "I think you may be of use in my plan. How close are you to Kaname exactly?"

"Close?" I was startled. "Well, I'm not that close, but Kaname asks me to help him sometimes." Asks me was an understatement. He didn't ask. He ordered. And why was I telling this man anyway?

"I see," Asato straightened up, placing his clasped hands on the desk in front of him. "Let me introduce myself properly. My name, is Asato Ichijo. Head of one of the most powerful aristocratic family in the vampire society, and a member of the council. You might also know me as Takuma's grandfather. I would like your assistance for a project. I will, in turn, try to help you."

"What do you need help with?" I was surprised. The head of the Ichijo group asking me for help?

"It's a simple task," Asato replied airily. "All I ask, is that you spy on Kaname Kuran for me. Tell me anything he has been planning, any major things he has been taking part in recently, anything of use to me."

Shall I tell you what blood type he prefers more?

"Why do you want me to spy on Kaname?" I deserved to know didn't I? I wasn't just going to blindly follow orders. Even if I've been doing that for Kaname... But that was beside the point. 

"The council has to make sure all vampires stay in check. That includes purebloods from all seven pureblood clans. However, it is hard to keep an eye on purebloods, because in truth, they have more power than us, and we have made a vow to protect out purebloods. I simply ask that you keep an eye on Kaname Kuran, and report if he has been doing anything suspicious."

That sounded simple enough. I'm pretty sure Kaname didn't break the rules or anything, even if he was quite mean.

"So why can't you just investigate him yourself, rather than have me sneak around and spy on him?" Something was off here.

"Like I said, it may seem like we are trying to spy on him, but that was putting it harshly. We are simply keeping a close eye on him. However, he may try and stop us, or claim it as intrusion, and we cannot defend ourself against that," Asato's face had the set I-won't-take-no-for-an-answer look. This guy was getting on my nerves.

"I'm sorry if I was intruding," I said stiffly. "But you ask me to spy on a pureblood, so I wanted to know why exactly. Either way, I have to say that I can't." No doubt he'll ask why, and the 'why' was simple.

I was already enslaved by Kaname. If I was caught, I'm pretty sure Asato wouldn't come to my rescue. Not to mention how dangerous it was. All the Night Class students were faithful to Kaname, and if any of them noticed, they would be competing to see who could tell Kaname fastest.

"Are you saying that you refuse to help us?" Asato's eyebrows rose alarmingly, as he began to rise from his chair. My knees felt ready to cave in.

"I won't tell anyone what happened between us," I replied calmly, surprising myself at how I could hide how scared and weak I felt. "But I will not spy on Kaname."

"You know who I am," Asato walked around the desk to stand in front of me, gazing down at me. "By helping us, I could even grant you a higher rank."

"I don't want the rank," I returned. "And I don't need it either. You say 'us', but who is 'us' exactly?" I didn't like the sound of this. Everything about this said 'not allowed' and 'conspiracy'.

"I can't tell you that," the older vampire snorted. "You don't help us. We don't help you." I scowled at the aristocrat.

"Fine, can I get back to my trial now?" I turned to look at the assocation president, who had stood there silently for the whole time.

"You're awfully keen aren't you?" Asato remarked, his eyes cold. "Perhaps I could even have a say in your sentence. It wouldn't be good if I let you go after everything I told you."

"I won't tell anyone what you said," I repeated, my patience beginning to wane. "And I will not help you."

"Fine," Asato gave up suddenly, with a dismissive wave of his hand. "President, please take her back." With a satisfied nod, the president sashayed out of the door, beckoning me to follow him down the hallway.

"President," Yagari's voice stopped us. "Is her trial over?" Yagari had his gun strapped to his back, and his hat on, looking as though he was about to go somewhere.

"No, no, Yagari," the president replied smoothly. "We had a delay, so I'm returning Saki to the trial room right now. I'll make sure to have someone tell you the verdict." Yagari nodded, tipping his hat in the direction of the president.

"Very well, then," he agreed. "I suppose I'll be seeing you at a later date."

"Indeed," the president swept past him with a nod, while I hurried behind him.

"Are you sure you don't want to reconsider the offer?" The president stopped in front of the doors to the trial room. "It is your last chance."