Chapter 77: Those voices in my head

Ichiru left in the next few minutes. Why he had been standing there, muttering stuff, was beyond me. Mum and Yagari had returned to their conversation, and I tried to join in, but I was unconsciously aware of Ichiru standing there, and couldn't concentrate. Even when he was gone I couldn't help but wonder what he had been doing.

"You look distracted Saki," Mum commented, glancing at me, then Ichiru. "Is it because of him?"

"Uh, no, of course not," I lied. "It's just kind of sunny." What kind of excuse was that? Kind of sunny? Was I going stupid?

"Is it too bright?" Mum was immediately concerned. "Do you feel weak or anything from the sun?" Why was she- oh, she might have thought it was a side-effect from being a Level D.

"It's not that," I hastily tried to reassure her. "It's just getting kind of bright for my eyes."

"We should move then," Mum began moving. "We're getting a bit tanned already, anyway."

"It's fine, I'll be alright," I tried to slow Mum down. I felt bad, being the one to interrupt Mum and Yagari's conversation, and that they were moving because of me.

We moved, despite my protests, to a shadier spot underneath some trees, only about twenty metres from where we had just been.

"It's so much cooler now," Mum remarked, sitting back, observing the surroundings. "What do you two say?"

"It's fine," Yagari replied absentmindedly, his fingers playing with the grass.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I think I'll be fine here."

"That's good." We were all silent, all of us in our own thoughts.

We returned home, slightly more tanned, and in a good mood.

"You know, I didn't know you were scared of butterflies," I said to Yagari. "You almost screamed when one came past." Yagari crossed his arms stiffly.

"Who can like those things?" He retorted with a shudder. "Those beady eyes and papery wings. How do people call them beautiful?"

"Top-ranked hunter in the association," Mum laughed. "Tough as cotton balls."

"Shut up," Yagari gave Mum a friendly nudge. She replied with a slightly harder shove. When were the two of them going to get married?

"I'll go put the stuff away," I announced, picking up the picnic basket, wanting to leave Mum and Yagari together.

"Oh, thanks," Mum glanced at me, then paused. "You're going back to the academy tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah," I admitted, slightly rueful. "I'll start packing when I've packed away the picnic things."

"I'll do that," Mum took the basket from me. "You can go pack."

"Ok then," I ran up the stairs. "Thanks."

Something caught my eye as I opened the door into my room. A small robin sat at the windowsill, its head cocked curiously, as it peered at me. A chill rose over my spine. Despite its plain, but cute appearance was overlooked, as I saw its eyes. Black, not the usual, bird-like black, but a more...mystifying black.

The window was closed, but despite the barrier between me and the bird, I still felt ill at ease. This was no ordinary bird.

"Go on, shoo," I flapped my hands at the bird, on the other side of the window, in hope that it would fly away, and I would be convinced it was just a robin. It didn't move. If anything, it came even closer to the window, pecking at it.

"Go away," I tapped at the window in a futile attempt to scare it away. "Go...find worms or whatever you birds do." The bird didn't move, cocking its head to scrutinise me with its black, beady eyes. I really didn't like this bird.

Tugging the curtains across, I let the purple, star-patterned cloth hide the bird from sight. At least I couldn't see it now.

As I opened my suitcase, I couldn't shake off the feeling that the bird was still there, staring at me through the curtains. I never really noticed birds, unless they were standing right in front of me or something, but this bird had alarms ringing in my head. Something just wasn't right about it.

Snap out of it, I told myself sternly. First Ichiru, and now a bird. How much crazier can you get?

Oh, much crazier. Don't forget who's on the verge of going mad.

Not helping voice, not helping at all.

I provide insight on the sadness in you. What's wrong with that?

Everything. I don't want to see any insight of my sadness.

They say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Who is my friend? Who is my enemy?

A sudden crash snapped me out of my thoughts. It came from downstairs. Voices followed the crash, both apologetic and forgiving. I think someone dropped something. The smell of blood drifted into the room, sweet and tempting. No doubt someone cut themself. 

I couldn't help the watering in my mouth, as the blood scent roamed my senses, filling me with thirst. Not now. I wouldn't drink blood. I won't drink it. I don't want to drink it.

Yes you do.

No. I don't.

Don't be stupid. You're a vampire aren't you?

"I'm not," I muttered under my breath. "I'm not a vampire. I don't drink blood. I don't like blood." Silence followed my phrase. That voice in my head must be digesting that information, trying to find a way to get past it.

Wait. That voice? You're telling me that I have someone else in my head? That was a sure sign I was going mad.

Exactly.

"Go away," I reached for my head. "I don't want you in my head like this, taunting me." 

I'm not me. I'm you.

"I wouldn't think like that. Just go away." Even I was beginning to hesitate as I said those words. Was it really me?

Yes, it's you. Don't deny it. If you do, you're denying yourself.

"That doesn't matter. Just as long as I don't fall into darkness." 

Oho, now you're getting strong, eh? Such determination. Now I feel even more certain I have to stop you.

The glee in the voice was evident, stamped all over it. That wasn't me. I was sure of it now. Who was in my head?