1. Frank Bryce

One night, Frank awoke to strange noises in the Riddle House and merely assumed his mind was playing tricks, but the noises continued and Frank decided to investigate.

Once he arrived, he climbed the stairs quietly. On the landing, Frank turned right, and saw at once where the intruders were. Frank edged closer and closer, he was able to see a narrow slice of the room beyond. He then stopped moving and listened intently, for a man's voice spoke within the room, it sounded timid and fearful.

"Where is Nagini?" said the cold voice.

"I don't know, My Lord," said the first voice nervously, "she set out to explore the house, I think..."

"You will milk her before we retire, Wormtail," said the second voice, "I will need feeding in the night. The journey has tired me greatly."

"My Lord, may I ask how long we are going to stay here?"

"A week," said the cold voice, "perhaps longer. The place is moderately comfortable, and the plan cannot proceed yet. It would be foolish to act before the Quidditch World Cup is over."

Frank was puzzled, he had heard the word 'Quidditch' which was not a word at all.

"The Quidditch World Cup, My Lord?" said Wormtail. "Forgive me, but I do not understand, why should we wait until the World Cup is over?"

"Because, at this very moment wizards are pouring into the country from all over the world, and every meddler from the Ministry of Magic will be on duty, on the watch for signs of unusual activity, checking and double-checking identities. They will be obsessed with security. So we wait."

"Your Lordship is still determined, then?" Wormtail said quietly.

"Certainly I am determined, Wormtail."

"It could be done without Harry Potter and the other, My Lord."

"Without the two boys?" breathed the second voice. "I see..."

"My Lord, I do not say this out of concern for them!" said Wormtail. "They are nothing to me, nothing at all! It is merely that if we were to use any other wizard the thing could be done so much more quickly!"

"Could this suggestion of abandoning the plan be nothing more than an attempt to desert me?"

"My Lord! I-I have no wish to leave you, none at all-"

"Do not lie to me!" hissed the second voice. "I can always tell, Wormtail! You are regretting that you ever returned to me."

"No! My devotion to Your Lordship-"

"Your devotion is nothing more than cowardice. You would not be here if you had anywhere else to go. How am I to survive without you, when I need feeding every few hours? Who is to milk Nagini?"

"But you seem so much stronger, My Lord-"

"Liar," breathed the second voice, "I am no stronger, and a few days alone would be enough to rob me of the little health I have regained under your clumsy care. Silence!"

There was a pause.

"I have my reasons for using the two boys, as I have already explained to you, and I will use no other. I have waited thirteen years. A few more months will make no difference. As for the protection surrounding them, I believe my plan will be effective. All that is needed is a little courage from you, Wormtail, courage you will find, unless you wish to feel the full extent of Lord Voldermort's wrath-"

"My Lord, I must speak!" said Wormtail, panic in his voice now. "All through our journey I have gone over the plan in my head. My Lord, Bertha Jorkin's disappearance will not go unnoticed for long, and if we proceed, if I murder-"