20. McGonagall's Announcement

Y/N's POV

As the days passed, neither me or Harry figured out how to solve the egg. The only thing that kept our mind off this was our daily lessons. Both of us thought it would be fine to slack off since we didn't have to do our end of years but our teachers were not taking that as an excuse.

"Potter! L/N! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Transfiguration class on Thursday, and we all jumped and looked up.

"Now that Potter, L/N and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor McGonagall, with an angry look at us, "I have something to say to you all.

The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish-"

Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Parvati Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she too fought not to giggle. They both looked around at Harry, Professor McGonagall ignored them.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then-"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to -er- let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed hard against her mouth to stifle the sound. I could see what was funny this time: Professor McGonagall, with her hair in a tight bun, looked as though she had never let her hair down in any sense.

"But that does NOT mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way. In order to practice before we dismiss this lesson, can you partner up with someone."

I looked around, caught Hermione's eye and winked at her. I saw her go red before she made her way towards me. McGonagall was going to demonstrate basic ballroom techniques and she needed a partner. "Weasley, if you may." she said whilst motioning a horror-struck Ron towards her.

"Place one hand on my waist and one hand on my shoulder please Weasley." McGongall instructed to a mortified Ron. Me and Harry made eye contact with him and just laughed at him whilst him and McGonagall were dancing to some ballroom music.

After that very interesting demonstration, we were told to practice with our partners. I placed one hand gently on Hermione's waist and my other on her shoulder. "Have you ever danced before 'Mione?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Have you?"

I smirked. "Maybe once or twice." I then took control and we started waltzing around, it was actually working. We weren't tripping over our feet, it just worked. "Not too bad for a beginner." I said with a smile to a blushing Hermione. She opened her mouth to say something but then McGonagall began to dismiss us.

Once McGonagall had dismissed the class, she told me and Harry to stay behind.

"Potter, L/N, the champions and their partners-"

"What partners?" asked Harry.

Professor McGonagall looked suspiciously at him, as though she thought he was trying to be funny.

"Your partners for the Yule Ball, Potter," she said coldly, "your dance partners."

"Dance partners?" Harry said. "I don't dance."

"Oh yes, you do," said Professor McGonagall irritably, "that's what I'm telling you. Traditionally, the champions and their partners open the ball."

"I'm not dancing," he said.

"It is traditional," said Professor McGonagall firmly, "you are a Hogwarts champion, and you will do what is expected of you as a representative of the school. So make sure you get yourself a partner, Potter."

"But - I don't -"

"You heard me, Potter," said Professor McGonagall in a very final sort of way, "are you ok with this L/N?"

I nodded. "That's perfectly fine."

McGonagall nodded. "Why don't you try be more like L/N Potter?" and with that, she dismissed us both.

When I left, Harry started asking me about who I was going to bring to the Yule Ball. The answer seemed quite obvious, Hermione. But I wanted to ask her in an extravagant way, I was going to plan it all out and enlist the help of Harry and Ron. When I told them, they were more than happy to help, the only thing was that I was to help them both find partners as well.

I had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas. This year, everyone in the fourth year and above seemed to be staying, and they all seemed to be obsessed with the coming ball - or at least all the girls were, and it was amazing how many girls Hogwarts suddenly seemed to hold, I had never quite noticed that before. Girls giggling and whispering in the corridors, girls shrieking with laughter as boys passed them, girls excitedly comparing notes on what they were going to wear on Christmas night. My parents had given me dress robes that looked quite nice. They were a mix between a traditional wizard's dress robe and something the Muggles called a 'tuxedo'. It looked nice on me and it fitted me perfectly. I couldn't wait to reveal it to the others on the night of the ball.

In terms of me asking Hermione, my plan was to hide a note for her in a book and have Harry and Ron direct her to the book. Then I would be waiting from the bookshelves, ready to spring out with some flowers and a small sign. It was cliche, but I was sure she would love it. I knew Hermione was a fan of romantic novels since once or twice I had seen her read romantic Muggle novels.

The plan was set and ready, I hid myself behind some bookshelves of where Hermione, Harry and Ron were meant to be and waited. Soon enough, Harry and Ron arrived, accompanied by Hermione.

"What are you two doing here?" Hermione asked suspiciously. "You never come to the library."

"Well Y/N's busy so we thought we would spend some time with you." said Harry innocently.

Hermione didn't ask anymore and started reading a book.

"Hey Hermione, have you read this book yet?" asked Ron, handing her a book.

Hermione nodded. "Of course, it's my favourite book."

"Well, which part is your favourite part?" asked Harry.

Hermione started to flip the pages to her favourite part but then someone arrived. It was Krum.

"Hello Herm-own-ninny," said Krum, failing to pronounce her name. Ron and Harry were both looking at Krum in shock, they were confused to how Krum even knew Hermione.

"Hello Viktor." Hermione said brightly.

"I vas vondering if you vould accompany me to the Yule Ball." Krum said, in his usual monotonous voice.

Hermione smiled, but then her face fell. I watched from the bookshelves, jealousy coursing through my veins.

Hermione's POV

I was shocked when Viktor asked me to the Yule Ball, I was about to say yes but then I thought about Y/N. I desperately wanted him to ask me but it seemed like he either forgot or had other plans. I turned to look at Harry and Ron who were both in shock. Harry, unlike Ron, was not paralysed by Krum's presence and he motioned to the book. I remembered his previous question about my favourite chapter and I quickly flipped the pages to my favourite page. On that page was a note, it was obviously from Y/N since I recognised his handwriting.

Hermione Granger, will you come with me to the Yule Ball?

Right on cue, Y/N emerged from the shadows, a flower and a piece of cardboard with some writing on it. He had an uneasy smile and looked at me, then Krum and then back at me.

This was not ideal.