28. The End Of Fourth Year

Harry's POV

The pain was so intense, so all-consuming, that I no longer knew where I was. My head was surely going to burst with pain, I was screaming more loudly than I had ever screamed inmy life...and then it stopped. I rolled over and scrambled to my feet. I looked over at Voldemort and then to Y/N, he was quiet, it looked like he was planning something. This motivated me, I had to stay alive for a little bit longer, Y/N could get us out of here...

"A little break," said Voldemort, the slit-like nostrils dilating with excitement, "a little pre-game show...that hurt, didn't it, Harry? You don't want me to do that again, do you?"

I didn't answer. Voldemort casted the Imperio curse on me it was telling me to say no, I wasn't going to succumb. I won't...

"I WON'T!"

"You won't?" said Voldemort quietly, and the Death Eaters were not laughing now. "You won't say no? Harry, obedience is a virtue I need to teach you before you die. Perhaps another little dose of pain?"

Voldemort raised his wand, but this time I was ready, I flung myself sideways onto the ground; I rolled behind the marble headstone of Voldemort's father, and I heard it crack as the curse missed me.

"We are not playing hide-and-seek, Harry," said Voldemort's soft, cold voice, drawing nearer, as the Death Eaters laughed, "you cannot hide from me. Does this mean you are tired of our duel? Does this mean that you would prefer me to finish it now, Harry? Come out, Harry...come out and play, then. It will be quick, it might even be painless. I would not know, I have never died."

I knew one thing only, and it was beyond fear or reason: I was not going to die crouching here like a child playing hide-and-seek; I was not going to die kneeling at Voldemort's feet, I was going to die upright like my father, and I was going to die trying to defend myself.

Voldemort was ready. As I shouted. "Expelliarmus!" Voldemort cried. "Avada Kedavra!"

A jet of green light issued from Voldemort's wand just as a jet of red light blasted from mine.

Our spells collided in the air and I had to grip on my wand for the support. I looked at Voldemort who had fury in his eyes.

"Don't break the connection." I heard a voice say, I looked around and saw Y/N staring directly at me, how the hell did he get into my head?

"Here's the plan Harry, the cup is going to get us back home. While you distract him I'll get it and when I say so, break the connection and run. For crying out loud Harry, just stay alive for a little bit longer."

I nodded and I put all my strength into my spell. Something then started emerging from Voldemort's wand, an old man, the same old man I saw in my dream appeared in front of me. He said nothing. Then another face appeared but I didn't care, I was looking at the face that had just appeared...my mother.

"Your father's coming..." she said quietly. "Hold on for your father...it will be all right...hold on..."

And he came, first his head, then his body, tall and untidy-haired like me, they gave me motivation. They told me to hold on, to stay strong. For a minute I wondered what it would be like to just give up and join them, see my friends again. Then a voice sent me back to reality.

"Harry! I got it!" I turned and saw Y/N creeping around with the cup following his wand. "When you break the connection, you need to summon the cup. I want you to go, if I don't make it in time, leave without me."

I turned and saw my parents. "We can give you some time...but not long. You'll have to go."

I nodded bravely and then looked at Y/N who gave me a thumbs up.

"Go on Potter, it's your time to shine and play hero again."

I closed my eyes, broke the connection and ran over to where Y/N was. Voldemort and his Death Eaters looked flustered before everyone started trying to get me. I quickly met with Y/N in the middle.

"Get the cup Harry."

The cup flew over to where I was, I heard Voldemort yell. "Avada Kedavra!" very angrily but I was gone, we were both gone.

The Cup transported us back to the field.

"Y/N! You're a genius! We made it." I turned to congratulate him only to find him looking at me, he wasn't doing anything. He was still...

He was dead.

Crying loudly I waited for all the Professors to come over to me, Dumbledore came over to me first.

"He's back," I whispered, "he's back. Voldemort."

"What's going on? What's happened?" the face of Cornelius Fudge appeared upside down over me; it looked white, appalled. "Oh my God...L/N! Dumbledore the boy's dead!"

Third Person POV

Hermione and Ron rushed over, when Hermione saw Y/N's lifeless body she screamed and started breaking down instantly. Everyone else saw and even though they didn't know him that well, they still felt sadness. He was a kind soul and no one wanted him to die, he was young he had so much potential.

Next to come over were Y/N's parents and his brother. When they saw the body of Y/N they broke down. "No..." Joyce L/N said with a muffled sob before hugging her husband.

"This can't be real...not him." Issac said.

Throughout this, Harry was dragged off to another room with Mad-Eye Moody and everything was revealed. It was Barty Crouch Jr. pretending to be Moody with the Polyjuice Potion. It was him who replaced the cup, him who got both boys into the tournament. Was Y/N meant to die? No. Y/N was meant to be forced to join Voldemort's ranks and Harry was meant to die. The plan went very wrong and Harry escaped knowing that Voldemort was back and as well as that, he had proof.

Emotions were high as everyone realised that someone had died and that the Dark Lord was back. There was a silence as everyone was ushered out back, it was the end of term soon and soon everyone would be home.

The final morning before everyone was being sent home, Dumbledore held a speech in the Great Hall. There were no house colours but instead it was all black.

"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year." he paused. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Gryffindors, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Y/N L/N."

They did it, all of them; the benches scraped as everyone in the Hall stood, and raised their goblets, and echoed, in one loud, low, rumbling voice. "Y/N L/N."

"Y/N was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Gryffindor house," Dumbledore continued, "he was a loyal friend, he was brave, and most of all he had potential to be a very strong wizard. He sacrificed himself to save another person. He was brave and he will be missed. I must tell you that his death was no accident, he was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper swept the Great Hall. People were staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. He looked perfectly calm as he watched them mutter themselves into silence.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continued, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so, either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any sort of attempt to pretend that Y/N died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

Stunned and frightened, every face in the Hall was looking at Dumbledore. Harry, Ron and Hermione were silent, Hermione had tears down her face. She thought it wasn't fair, part of her wanted it to be Harry instead but that was selfish. Instead she kept her thoughts to herself and mourned. She never even told him she loved him...

When everyone left to board the train back the three of them sat in a silence. It felt empty. It wasn't the same without him.

Life wouldn't be the same without Y/N L/N.