18. The First Task

Y/N's POV

When I got back to the Common Room, I looked back and saw Harry waiting eagerly for someone by the fireplace. I knew he was going to talk to Sirius so I merely just ignored him and made my way up to the dorm. I wanted to speak to Sirius but I'm sure Harry was his priority right now and I was sure my parents would of informed him.

The next morning, I went to tell Hermione about the first task, but it seemed like she was already informed by Harry. I went to tell Ron and told him but since his older brother Charlie was in charge of them, he already knew. I asked him why he didn't tell me and he told me that he had promised Charlie not to reveal anything since the champions weren't meant to know but I had a strong feeling that Madam Maxine would've told Fleur and Krum would've found out somehow.

It wasn't long until the first task and I was planning how I was going to get past the Dragon. Hermione had been dividing her time between me and Harry so I decided to figure out a strategy by myself. I was stuck with no ideas when suddenly, it hit me. I was going to play to my strengths, I was going to fly. Sure we weren't allowed anything but our wands with us but I knew there was a spell to summon stuff. I spent the next few hours practicing and went to sleep that night, not as nervous as before.

The day of the first task, the atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement.

"L/N, the champions have to come down onto the grounds now...you have to get ready for your first task." said McGonagall

"Okay," I said, standing up, and following McGonagall

"Good luck, Y/N," Hermione whispered, "you'll be fine!"

"Yeah," I said, with as much confidence as I could muster.

I left the Great Hall with Professor McGonagall. She didn't seem herself either; in fact, she looked nearly as anxious as Hermione. As she walked me down the stone steps and out into the cold November afternoon, she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Now, don't panic," she said, "just keep a cool head. We've got wizards standing by to control the situation if it gets out of hand. The main thing is just to do your best, and nobody will think any the worse of you. Are you all right?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

She was leading me toward the place where the Dragons were, around the edge of the forest, but when we approached the clump of trees behind which the enclosure would be clearly visible, I saw that a tent was here, its entrance facing us, screening the Dragons from view.

"You're to go in here with the other champions," said Professor McGonagall, in a rather shaky sort of voice, "and wait for your turn. Good luck."

"Thanks."

Fleur was sitting in a corner on wooden stool. She didn't look nearly as composed as usual, but rather pale and clammy. Viktor Krum looked even surlier than usual, which I supposed was his way of showing nerves and Harry was pacing up and down. When I entered, Harry gave me a small smile, almost forgetting the argument we had, I smiled back.

"Well, now we're all here - time to fill you in!" said Bagman brightly. "When the audience has assembled, I'm going to be offering each of you this bag and your task is to collect the golden egg! Ladies first," he said, offering it to Fleur.

She put a shaking hand inside the bag and drew out a tiny, perfect model of a dragon - a Welsh Green. It had the number two around its neck.

Then Krum pulled out the Chinese Fireball. It had a number three around its neck. He didn't even blink, just sat back down and stared at the ground.