4. The Portkey

Y/N's POV

After dinner with all the Weasleys, which was a lovely home-cooked meal by Mrs Weasley, we all retired off to our rooms. Ours was noisy since it was Ron, Harry, Issac, Fred, George and I all cramped in one room. We all had a laugh though before Mrs Weasley stormed in, telling us all to sleep.

I felt as though I had barely gone to sleep in Ron's room before I was being shaken awake by Mrs Weasley.

It was still dark outside. I opened my eyes and watched Mrs Weasley wake up everyone else in our room.

"'S time already?" said Fred groggily.

We dressed in silence, too sleepy to talk, then, yawning and stretching, the six of us headed downstairs into the kitchen.

Mrs Weasley was stirring the contents of a large pot on the stove, while Mr Weasley was sitting at the table, checking a sheet of large parchment tickets. He looked up as we entered and spread his arms so that we could see his clothes more clearly. He was wearing what appeared to be a golfing sweater and a very old pair of jeans, slightly too big for him and held up with a thick leather belt.

"What d'you think?" he asked anxiously. "We're supposed to go incognito, do I look like a Muggle, Harry?"

"Yeah," said Harry, smiling, "very good."

"Where're Bill and Charlie and Per-Per-Percy?" said George, failing to stifle a huge yawn.

"Well, they're Apparating, aren't they?" said Mrs Weasley, heaving the large pot over to the table and starting to ladle porridge into bowls. "So they can have a bit of a lie-in."

"So they're still in bed?" said Fred grumpily, pulling his bowl of porridge toward him. "Why can't we Apparate too?"

"Because you're not of age and you haven't passed your test," snapped Mrs Weasley, "and where have those girls got to?"

She bustled out of the kitchen and we heard her climbing the stairs.

"You have to pass a test to Apparate?" Harry asked.

"Oh yes," said Mr Weasley, tucking the tickets safely into the back pocket of his jeans, "the Department of Magical Transportation had to fine a couple of people the other day for Apparating without a license. It's not easy, Apparition, and when it's not done property it can lead to nasty complications. This pair I'm talking about went and splinched themselves."

Everyone except Harry winced.

"Er-splinched?" said Harry.

"They left half of themselves behind," said Mr Weasley, "so, of course, they were stuck. Couldn't move either way. Had to wait for the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad to sort them out. Meant a fair old bit of paperwork, I can tell you, what with the Muggles who spotted the body parts they'd left behind."

"Were they okay?" Harry asked, startled.

"Oh yes," said Mr Weasley, "but they got a heavy fine, and I don't think they'll be trying it again in a hurry. You don't mess around with Apparition. There are plenty of adult wizards who don't bother with it. Prefer brooms, slower, but safer."

"But Bill and Charlie and Percy can all do it?"

"Charlie had to take the test twice," said Fred, grinning, "he failed the first time. Apparated five miles south of where he meant to, right on top of some poor old dear doing her shopping, remember?"

"Yes, well, he passed the second time," said Mrs Weasley, marching back into the kitchen.

"Percy only passed two weeks ago," said George, "he's been Apparating downstairs every morning since, just to prove he can."