Chapter 8

Pronunciation
Dandi = Dan-dee
Silon = Sigh-lynn
Salux = Say-lux
Dana = Day-nuh
Aiyanna = I-yawn-uh

Chapter 8

"Dandi," My eyes shot open at the sound of a familiar voice. I relaxed as Abey's soft brown eyes reflected mine. "It's time to head back to the village." I lazily arose as I tried to remember the dream that left my skin sticky with sweat. "Did you have a bad dream?" Abey asked as she helped me roll up my sleeping mat.

"I don't remember. Where is Aiyanna?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I haven't seen her since last night. " I looked around as my eyes locked with a familiar gleam of confidence. Aiyanna.

"We can not return to the village." Aiyanna stated.

"What happened?" Both me and Abey asked unanimously.

"After you two went to sleep I quietly returned to the village. I wouldn't allow us to return blindly. I stayed low since I could smell the dragons before I even got there. If I took a guess, I'd say there was definitely more than we thought. I don't know how we didn't sense them sooner." She shook her head before continuing. "They killed many and have taken some of our people as prisoners, I could sense them and their distress. I could smell the wolves bane." I watched her face curl in disgust. "They're going to torture them to try and give up where the rest of our people are."

"Do you think there's going to be another rogue war?" Abey stared at her mother with concern laced in her eyes.

"Wait. Can you tell me more about the rogue war?" I asked Aiyanna.

Aiyanna sighed before she began, "I think there may be a possibility. Around 18 years ago there was a war between the wolves and the dragons. The real cause is unknown but all I know is the dragons began obliterating the wolf population. Naturally, wolves are weaker than dragons so we didn't stand a chance and nearly the entire population of wolves was destroyed but, of course, some remained and rebuilt their villages, like us. Everything was normal for so long." She sighed again causing my eyebrows to furrow.

"This is my fault." I stated before standing up. "They're looking for me, I know it." My teeth clenched as anger rushed through my veins. "Aiyanna," I looked in her eyes with remorse. "I'm the reason this happened to your village, to our people."

"No-" Aiyanna began.

"It is!" I cried out. "Even if you guys don't accept it, you know. You know it's my fault!" I looked down before continuing. "I'm sorry. Abey, Aiyanna. I love you both. I didn't know this would happen." I grabbed my swords. "I will return to the village. I am what they want."

"Wait-" Abbey grabbed my arm but I shook myself from her grip.

"I appreciate what you guys have done for me. Everybody in the village showed me what it's like to have a family, what it's like to be loved. You guys showed me what life can be, the happiness and fulfillment that you can have. I could never thank you enough, Aiyanna, for saving me. I won't ever lose the regret I have knowing this is how I repaid you." I turned around and began walking towards the village.

"Wait! Please!" I turned around just as Abey's arms wrapped around my body. "We love you too! Please don't go! We've already lost so many people." She sputtered in between sobs.

"He's right, Abbey. He's who they're looking for. I knew it when I found you this would likely happen." Abbey released me as our focus fell on Aiyanna and confusion flipped my brain. "But, Dandi, I haven't told you the truth either. 18 years ago your father, my brother, died protecting you. I was hidden when I seen your mother return to the pack village but she was followed by too many and they killed her. I couldn't help her, I was pregnant with Abey at that time, they would've killed me too. I thought they killed you but on that day, 2 years ago, I found you. I thought it was fate and I could not send you away. The reason they want you is because your mother was a dragon. You are the first Waya in millions of years. That's the reason you were able to activate your swords. You are powerful and that's why they want you." I was in shock as the events of my dream caressed my brain. The memories of the chambers, silon, and the village raked through my thoughts. Aiyanna was my aunt, Abey was my cousin.

"T-then I can fight them." I exclaimed not knowing what else to say.

"You are not in touch with your true power. All you know is your wolf. You won't stand a chance against them and there's no guarantee they won't just automatically kill you. I'm happy they didn't, but I don't know why they didn't kill you long before. Although, I'm sure they don't , neither I, know the extent of your powers. I know you think you're better off giving yourself to them but I see you as my son and I don't want you to go." Aiyanna stated sternly.

"I am not going to continue to put your lives at stake, even if that means I will die." I projected. "You can not change my mind and do not come with me. It would be pointless for you guys to lose your lives too. Until I see you guys again." I watched sadness seem to etch into Aiyanna's face as she stopped Abey from grabbing me. Abey's protests died out in the trees as I began running to the village.

—-