Chapter 9

Chapter 9

My run slowed to a walk as I neared the village I called home for 2 years. I crouched as the place where I once loved to be was now plagued with the same smell that suffocated my lungs for 16 years. It reeked of dragons. My eyes darted through the trees, smoke, and rubbish as I looked for where they had prisoners. They had turned our village into their own camp overnight.

I recognized 6 familiar faces bound by rope in the middle of the camp. I focused my eyes and inhaled the air. The ropes were coated with wolves bane. They were also being guarded. I laid my swords under a bush so I would make less noise and inched closer to the camp. I flinched as a twig snapped under the weight of my foot. Several heads whipped in my direction and foot steps began plummeting towards me.

"Wolf!" A dragon shouted. I had no time before I was tackled. Black spots dotted my vision as my consciousness slipped through my hands.

**

My eyes slowly opened as pain flooded my head like a stack of bricks. They did not have to hit me that hard. I smirked as I noticed they bound my hands with the same rope as the 6 others around me. I looked around slowly. It was dark and there were a few guards stationed around the camp facing away from us. Only one guard was sat watching us prisoners. The other wolves here were weakened by the wolves bane on the rope but the thing is, wolves bane doesn't affect me. I knew they wouldn't be able to respond but with this close proximity I'd be able to use mind link. Pain still traced my head as I closed my eyes and concentrated on communicating with the wolves around me.

"Once this guard gets distracted I'm going to free each of you. Muster up your strength and leave as quietly as possible."

I waited as the guard watching us began idiotically dozing off.

I clenched my fists then busted the rope that bound my hands. I quietly but quickly freed the other prisoners. I kept watch on all the guards as I directed the wolves to where Aiyanna would be. I put my finger up to my lips to remind them to remain silent. They each nodded their appreciation before leaving.

I grabbed both my swords just as I heard shouting behind me.

"You idiot! How could you let the prisoners escape?"

I put myself back in view. "You dragons really need to step up your security." I charged at the first guard whom was the one watching the wolves. Not expecting my attack, he was killed instantly.

"Wolf!" One of the guards shouted. Before I knew it, there were dragons everywhere. My swords were moving faster than the normal eye could see as the attack's kept coming my way. There were way too many, many more than I expected. I flinched as a sword sliced across my arm. My defense was running useless but I did not stop. I swung, stabbed, and blocked from every angle. My endurance was depleting as my energy remained high. I cried out as a sword sliced deeply into my skin. I doubled over and my swords fell from my hands which were quickly turning into paws. A low growl ripped from my chest as my wolf broke through the surface. Then everything went blank.

**

"Wake up! Stupid mutt." My eyes slowly opened to the feet of several men. "This is definitely what we're looking for. Are you sure we can't just kill it. Look at how many of us it killed!"

"No the king would kill even more of us if we killed it." I felt someone or something moving me before I lost consciousness again.

**

"Wake up." A soft voice soothed my ears. My eyes opened slowly, taking a few seconds to adjust to the light in the room. "I need you to shift back so I can treat your wounds." She said. I attempted to get up but pain surged through my leg. "Shift and I can help the pain." I looked at her observingly. She was a wolf too. She was short with tan olive skin, dark hair, and striking emerald eyes.I grind my teeth together as I shifted to stop the shouts of pain I knew would come. The pain blocked the embarrassment that usually came in shifting. She immediately began cleaning and applying different salves to my open wounds.

After around an hour of salves and some stitches she finally finished. "Surprisingly, nothing is broke. Although, the wound on your leg was very deep. I put some stitches and salves just to help your wolf heal you quicker." She went through a room and returned with a bucket and a rag. "I'm going to help you clean up some more and I have some clothes for you to put on."

She gently began using the rag and warm, soapy water to remove the dirt, sweat, and blood from my skin. "So what's your name?" I asked her.

She looked at me almost reluctantly before answering. "Anna."

"You are a wolf. Why are you here?"

"I am a slave. That's all wolfs are here, slaves." She replied. I blinked at her, waiting for her to continue. She sighed. "I was captured when I was 13. That's how most of us end up here. Either you get captured or sometimes you get sacrificed."

"Sacrificed?" I asked, bewildered.

"If you're a a wolf pack, still living after the rogue war, and the dragons find the wolf pack then sometimes they allow the wolf pack to make sacrifices where the dragons can choose the wolves they want from the pack whom will willingly go which in turn allows the other wolves in that pack to live." She explained. I was not expecting that.

"So I'm in the castle?" I sighed already knowing the answer.

"Yes. Now put these clothes on." She helped me get dressed before continuing. "I will get you something to eat." She exclaimed before promptly leaving.

I looked around the plain, dull room. It was absolutely spotless. I looked down at the blankets laid over my legs. I was in a bed, something I haven't felt since I was in one with-

No, no, no. Don't think about that. Wait, actually, now that I think about it. Why am I in a room? Suspicion crept up my spine. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I focused on what I could hear. Just footsteps. Smell? I opened my eyes just as Anna's small frame walked through the door.

"Here's your food." She gently laid a bed table across my lap and presented the food to me. There was an array of food in front of me. From chicken to shrimp, broccoli to kiwi, there was a lot. I stared at the food for awhile.

"Am I getting treated this good because of the king? Where is he?" I asked her.

"I was given orders to personally serve you. I am not sure of the circumstances. As for the king, he is likely in his office." I nodded in reply, sensing she did not want me to press her. I also didn't want to jinx myself back into a dungeon. "I am going to attend to my other duties. I will check on you later. Also, do not leave this room. There's a bathroom right there." She pointed to a door on the side of the room before exiting.

I looked at the different plates of food not knowing what some of it was. Despite my ignorance, I ate every single thing. Whoever they have cooking here definitely has skill.

Well, what am I supposed to do? I sighed as I rested my head on one of the several fluffy white pillows. I closed my eyes, relishing in the smooth and soft touch of the blankets. I took a deep breath as I tried to remember the smell of my mate.

"What is this." I pointed toward the thing I was smelling.

"A pillow...Are you enjoying it?"

"Yes it smells good." I smiled. His faced turned really red and I got worried. I stood up and walked towards him. "Are you okay? You're face is really red." I touched his face, curious if it was hot.

"I-Im fine. I just have a little fever thats all! Yeah a fever...That works."

I opened my eyes, letting the memory fade from my thoughts. How could my mate be a dragon? The king at that. He's the one that sent those dragons that destroyed my village and killed my people. How many more villages has he destroyed? How many more innocent people has he killed? How could I love him? Why do I still miss him?

My thoughts drifted to Aiyanna, Abbey, and the rest of the wolf population. Will he keep going after Aiyanna even though I returned? Will he continue searching for villages? Is he going to continue to inflict mayhem on the wolves? Would he stop for me?

Questions continued to bounce across my thoughts until my eyes grew heavy and darkness enveloped my vision.

—-

I hope you enjoyed!
Comment!