Chapter 33

The next few days were uneventful thank goodness. Cora ended up staying at the B&B for 6 days. She only had food and drinks from Granny's. On the 6th day Henry went over to her room and knocked on the door. When Cora opened the door she was so happy to see her husband. "May I come in Cora?"  "Of course dear please". She stands aside and Henry walks in and takes a seat at the small table in the room. "So how has Granny's treated you dear?"   "Granny has been very accommodating. When she ran my credit card when I came to check in it came up declined. I told her there must me some mistake with the bank. She let me stay and run a tab anyway".  "I'm sorry that you card was declined. That was my fault. I put a stop to everything of yours. As of right now you have no money Cora". There is a moment of silence. "Henry. I. What. Why did you do that?"   "Cora how can you really ask me that?  You want to completely cut off our daughter so she would lose everything, I decided to turn the tables and do that to you. Only it was worse for you. Besides my home you had no home. Without my money you had already spent all of yours. I know this was cruel to do but you needed this Cora. After living with basically nothing for almost a week, do you still want to do that to our daughter? Do you want her and Emma to live in a B&B till they find a small apartment they can afford to raise our grandchildren?"  Cora puts her head down and seems ashamed. "No Henry. I don't want that at all. I realized Emma isn't what I thought she was. I owe her and Regina an apology. Emma has said over and over she doesn't want our, well your money. I didn't listen. Not all broke people are after your money, and having none for a week really made me think. I'm so sorry Henry that you had to actually teach me this lesson. I feel so foolish. May I ask where we go from here Henry?"   "Well my dear if you would like you may come home now, but only after you make a heartfelt apology to our daughter and to Emma".  "I was already planning to do that. I'm just not sure that they want to see me any time soon". Cora looks down in shame. "Well Cora dear, how about you pack up your things and we both take a ride over there and you can talk to them". Cora nods and starts to pack her bag. A little while later Henry and Cora pull into the driveway of Regina and Emma's home. They both walk to the door and Henry rings the door bell. Emma was the one to open the door. "Oh hello Henry, Cora".  "Henry speaks first. "Hello dear. Are you and Regina available for a quick visit?"    "Well why don't you come in and I'll go see if Regina has some time". She opens the door wider and Regina's parents walk into the foyer.  "Please go have a seat in the living room. Regina is in her office doing some work. I'll let her know your both here". Cora has a blank look on her face and Henry gives a small smile and a nod. I knock on Regina's open office door. "Hey babe. You got a minute?"  She's reading over some of her lesson plans for school. She nods then puts it down. I sit in the chair on the other side of her desk. "Babe I don't want you to get upset but your dad is in the living room". A smile comes to her face. "He's here with your mom. They want to speck to us". Her smile fades. She stands quickly. "Absolutely not. Daddy may stay but ask her to leave".  "Sweetheart please let's just hear them out. Your mother looks different babe. I think this last week did something to her".  Regina huffs. "Fine. She has 5 minutes. Let's go".  Of course Regina walks like the regal woman she is into the living room. Henry stands as we come in. He hugs Regina. "Hello daddy. What can I do for you?"  She doesn't even acknowledge her mother. We all sit down and Henry speaks. "You mother has something to say to the both of you".  "Daddy, Emma and I have no interest in listening to her".  "Regina dear please give her a moment and then we will leave".  "Fine daddy. Ok let's get this over with".  For the first time Cora lifts her head to look at us. It takes her a moment to speak. "Spill it mother".  I take hold of Regina's hand and she squeezes it. Cora's voice is shaky when she begins to speak. "I owe you 2 an apology. I've been blessed with the life Henry has provided for me for so long that I forgot what it was like to live with nothing and that was what I was willing to do to you both. I'm so ashamed of myself that I could have actually done that to my own daughter and the one she loves". A few tears fall from Cora's eyes. "I'm sure it'll take some time before you will be able to forgive me but I hope some day that may happen. I do love you Regina and I am so sorry that I did this". I stay silent but Regina stands and tries to smooth out the wrinkles on her skirt that aren't there. She clears her throat before she speaks. "Well thank you for coming to speak to us and apologize. You are correct when you say it will take a while to forgive you. It was nice to see you but I have work to get back to now. Emma darling could you please see them out?"   "Yeah babe. Ok".  That's all Regina says before she leaves the room. "Emma dear. This effected you also, do you have anything to say?"  Henry asked me. "Well I'll be honest, I hope Cora means what she said. I know Regina misses her mother but she also will not put up with this again and neither will I. I don't like to see her hurting. She doesn't sleep well and her appetite has changed. I hope what you did Henry has helped Cora. You both already know I don't want any money, I just want to take care of my family and if that means that you give Regina and I money to do it than so be it. I don't know what it'll take for Cora to believe me, but that's her problem not mine. I love Regina and I want everything with her. A life, children, heck even grandchildren someday". Henry stands and hugs me. "Cora dear, are you ready to go?"  She just nods and stands. I walk them both to the door. Henry hugs me again and I hold out my hand to Cora to shake as a sign of peace.   They both get in the car and leave. I walk to Regina's office but she's not there. I check the library and she's there standing by the window having a drink of her apple cider. I knock on the open door. She turns to look at me. "Their gone?"  "Yeah. Are you ok babe?"  She shrugs. She's not facing me anymore so I walk up behind her and take a chance to put my arms around her and comfort her. She doesn't move away from me and I take that as a good sign. She relaxes in my embrace. "Do you wanna talk babe?"  The back of her head is on my shoulder and she shakes her head no. "It's ok babe we don't have to talk. Is there anything I can do to help you feel better?"  She nods yes. "Just hold me my love please". I kiss her cheek. "Of course babe. Let's go sit sit down". She nods again and we walk over to the loveseat. I open my arms and she leaps into them as she lays mostly on me and a little on the loveseat. We don't speak for a long while, but eventually I have to pee. "Hey babe are you awake?"  I ask as I rub her back. "No sweetheart. Go back to sleep".  "I'm sorry babe but I need to use the bathroom". "Emma I'm so comfortable".  "I know babe let's go upstairs and change then snuggle in bed ok?"  She nods and then we both head upstairs.