Nine

The hustle and bustle of the bar echoes around Jihoon, creeping around the buds of his earphones as he sits in the corner on the sagging sofa. There are people laughing, chattering, drinking. Having fun. Newcomers hug other guests who'd arrived just slightly before them, all of them glad to escape the confines of work on the Autumnal Friday evening.

Jihoon is the only one there alone, and as the soft lofi music dies down to signal the end of another dismal and rainy song, he stops thinking.

A new song starts up again, and his head yet again floods with thoughts. A man in a green and navy striped polo lets out a belting laugh, reaching up under his top to scratch at his stomach. Jihoon notices the scuffs on his black polished shoes, the mud caked on the toes, the frayed gems of his faded jeans. The man next to him is pristine. His hair is slicked back and a perfect pitch black. His blazer is tailored and ironed flat.

Yet they stand together, enjoying the brief moment where everyone is equal, laughing and celebrating another week gone like the wind, while the moon shines rays of diamonds through the windows.

At first Jihoon overlooks the smartly dressed woman leaning over the bar, deep in her conversation with Jaehyun. Then she catches his eye when she turns around, staring avidly between him and the beautiful guitar with a hummingbird pickguard.

She narrows her eyes, leaning closer to Jaehyun and whispering in his ear, he smiles and nods, disappearing.

Jihoon is so focused on the mysterious woman that when Jaehyun appears beside him, he nearly has a heart attack.

"Fuck!" He yells, a little too loudly. People turn and stare at him, with disapproving eyes and pursed lips. Jaehyun laughs, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees.

"I may have just got you a record deal." He suddenly says.

Jihoon's eyes widen, "You what?!" He exclaims.

Jaehyun rolls his eyes, "I said, I may have just got you a record deal. You can thank me later," he adds when he sees Jihoon's speechless expression.

"I- what? How... when- who? What?" He stutters, his fogged head still processing everything.

The taller of the two points at the woman from before. "She's been coming for the past few Fridays, and after tonight she came up to me and started asking all these questions about you." He chuckles, "I thought you'd rather tell her these things yourself, but I see your a bit too shaken up, so I'll just go tell her-"

Jihoon cuts in and stands up immediately, "No no no! I'll talk to her."

He rushes over with Jaehyun in tow, standing beside the woman.

Jaehyun can barely hold in his laughter at the height difference- this woman is at least 5'9, and Jihoon's weak 5'6 is a funny sight to behold.

Jihoon spares a moment to shoot him a glare. Don't you dare fuck this up for me.

"Hi miss, I'm Lee Jihoon," he starts, holding his right hand out politely for her to shake.

She does so, and smiles warmly, her eyes softening, "Hello, Jihoon. My name is Seo Hyeri. I've been watching you play for a few weeks and needless to say, I've been very impressed."

Jihoon hoists himself up to sit at the bar too, now level with her. "Thank you," he says, feeling butterflies awaken in his stomach.

"Have you ever tried making original music?"

Jihoon nods, "It's not the best, though."

Jaehyun cuts in, "Um, excuse but I strongly object, his stuff is amazing, Miss." She smiles again in response.

"Well, hopefully over your time with us you can improve, but I need you to send me some samples of your current works so they can be... let's say judged."

Jihoon takes a deep breath, "Okay."

She grins and claps her hands, "Excellent, here's my email. Send the files as soon as you can please, tomorrow morning if possible. Then we can have an interview with the CEO of the company and hopefully sign you."

She stands up and strolls out, walking with grace and a lovely demeanour.

Jihoon lets out a huge breath he didn't know he'd been holding, "Fuck..."

Jaehyun laughs, "You looked like an overripe tomato throughout the whole thing."

Jihoon glares at him through the gaps in his fingers, now covering his heated face, "Shut up, dumb ass."

"Hey! If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have just gotten the deal! Appreciate my talent!"

Jihoon scoffs. He wraps his arm around Jaehyun and hugs him, "Aww, jaehyunnie. What would I do without you?" He coos, pinching the others cheek between his fingers.

Jaehyun swats him away like a pesky fly, "You're so annoying."

"Pfft, like you can talk, nutbrain."

Jaehyun mocks offence, "Excuse me!"

After a few seconds of awkward silence, the both of them burst into laughter. Jaehyun stands up straight as Jihoon continues to crease up. "Alright, Hoon. Out you get. I'm closing up soon. I need my beauty sleep and these fuckers are holding me away from it." He gestures widely to the crowd.

Jihoon walks home with a bounce in his step, and the music playing through his earphones sounds joyful and positive. This time, with the music lulling him away from reality, he doesn't flinch at the obnoxious cars and he doesn't waver when ambulance sirens roar in the distance. The music helps him to feel free and relaxed, like a dream that can only be broken when he pauses the music.